We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evaluate the itinerary

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Evaluate the itinerary

Hello,

I would like to visit Hawaii, and since I would be travelling solo and I am not comfortable driving a car, I decided to go with a group tour. I found a tour offered by Tucan Travel for a period of 10 days (10Jan - 19Jan), including travel days from mainland US. The tour covers the island of Hawaii and here is their itinerary.

Day 1 - Arrive Kailua-Kona.

Day 2 - Kona Coffee Farm, Snorkelling in Kealakekua Bay, Pu'uhonua o Honaunua National Historic Park, Punalu’u Beach Park (camping)

Day 3 ,4 - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, hiking involved. Camping outside the park.

Day 5 - Kamuna cave, Wailuku river state park, sunset cruise to Onomea bay, stay in Hilo.

Day 6 - Hikingin Akaka Falls State Park , visit to World Botanical gardens, camping by the Laupahoehoe Beach

Day 7 -Waipio Valley, explore Hawi town, camp at Spencer Beach Park

Day 8 - Lapakahi State Park , hiking in Pololu Valley, stargazing at Mauna Kea

Observatory. Camp.

Day 9 - Kiholo Bay, Stay at Kona

Day 10 - Late evening departure

I am quite interested in the hiking/exploring and camping bit. The tour is priced at ~$1949 + some extra charges for meals and additional excursions. I would like some opinions on this tour company and also about this itinerary. Has anybody ever used this company for a Hawaii tour?

Thanks,

Ankita

9 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evaluate the itinerary

I looked for that tour.

Is this it? https:/…rbxnhh

The itinerary is jumbled and not really accurate in terms of where you go to do what, looks like it was written by someone who had never been to the island. Example: you never board zodiac boats at Kealakekua Bay. You get them elswhere.

Camping is not very comfortable on this island and little detail is given. Camping near VNP can be cold and wet in winter.

Is this a US company? I think not since they mention bank holidays...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evaluate the itinerary

Old thread on another forum but maybe there are more if you search for Tucan Travel

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29431…

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evaluate the itinerary

Thanks for responding and yes, that is the tour, Hawaii Highlights. Tucan Travel is a London based company. This company seems to have mixed reviews for other destinations. I did not find any reviews for Hawaii yet.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evaluate the itinerary

Have you ever camped in the rain? It ain’t fun!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Evaluate the itinerary

Also know that you will not see molten flowing lava at Jagger Museum as their website states. Looking overall at what they've written I'd be really skeptical.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evaluate the itinerary

The only package agent I would even consider would be Pleasant Holidays. Not only are they US based, they have made tours of Hawaii their business for more than 40 (maybe 50) years.

You need to do a LOT more research about the Big Island and Hawaii. Please don't buy this tour. You can easily have a much better and more comfortable trip.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evaluate the itinerary

Give the hodgepodge, pseudo-camping tour a pass. You’re right though in that your lack of car is limiting. I suppose you could base yourself somewhere with a degree of walkability, and take a couple of day tours (Hawaii Forest & Trail is often mentioned here). Or what about going to Oahu & staying in Waikiki? No car necessary, reliable public transportation, island tour(s) with a good company?

~ Colleen

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,849 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evaluate the itinerary

This is just weird. Sunset boat cruise from Hilo to Onomea Bay? Doubtful in January. Bad time to camp anywhere on the windward side.

I would not take a group tour on the Big Island, although they work well for foreign nationals who don’t speak the language.

Without a car, you can take our difficult to use bus to a few things, and you can take a couple of island tours. You are probably best basing yourself in the main tourist area of Kailua Kona if you are solo, without a car, and on a budget. You might not really like it though, as you’re looking for a nature focus. You would be better off without a car on Oahu, as mentioned, if you want to range all around the island, because of that island’s bus system.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Evaluate the itinerary

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. After consideration, I decided to postpone the trip to the summer months and also drive around.

Reply to: Evaluate the itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted