We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona and Volcano area hotels... suggestions? need help as...

Dallas, TX
3 posts
Save Topic
Kona and Volcano area hotels... suggestions? need help as...

We are an Austin, TX couple, if that tells you anything... mid 30's laid back... we are staying Friday night - one night - in April in Kona - suggestions? I've found availability at Sheraton and at Keauhou Beach Resort. The latter is MUCH less expensive and has good reviews... please help!!! We ARE hotel people, so we are picky, but not snobby.

Secondly... in Volcano area... for SaturdaySunday nights, we have availability at Kilauea Lodge and at Hale Ohia - for the Ohia Cottage. Which is best for the same price???

The following week we're staying at Mauna Kea... but we can get all the "spoiling" we need there... we don't like Chain places... just want a unique individual experience that we can remember forever!

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kona and Volcano area hotels... suggestions? need help as...

We had breakfast at the Keauhou Beach Resort last week and we loved it. The open air feel of the place is wonderful. The pool is nothing special but there is a really nice place to see sea turtles and other sea life right from the outdoor bar area. Since it's only one night I'd go for it! It's a really lovely place that isn't snobbish and right next to the best snorkle beach in the country. The Mauna Kea is awesome. Scuba dive with Gary there, he's awesome. I've never stayed at Volcano but I want to! Enjoy the Big Island!