We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

Which Augusta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

My brother and I are visiting Augusta for three days this weekend. He is visiting his daughter and I will be hanging out at the hotel during the day. Is there a good spa for a massage? Staying at Courtyard Marriott in North Augusta. Restaurant/Bar recommendations? Things to do? We are in our early 50s. Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,343 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

For the past 4 years we came to Augusta to visit our future son-in-law who was in medical school at MCG. We usually stayed at the Marriott on the Riverfront or out on Washington Ave. There are lots of restaurants, etc. at the Washington Ave. exit but do not know much about restaurants, etc. in North Augusta. Hopefully one of the Augusta TA's will chime in and give you some info. Enjoy your trip.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

Go downtown and check out the Riverwalk area. Kinda nice stroll along the river. A couple of museums down there too--biggest is a Science museum that is nice for short visit.

Our favorite thing in Augusta is the Augusta Canal. You can bicycle along it. But there is also a visitor center at Augusta city end as well as upriver where the low dam is that feeds the canal. Check out the visitor center to see how they routed the water to power the cotton mills. A few of the old mills are still there and you can see some of the areas of canal near them. They also have a canal boat ride along a portion, but it may be too cold this time of year for that. Check the link on this page for Things to Do, it is number 2. Access their website for more info.

The Augusta Country Club where Masters is held is also in town. Not sure what they have that can be visited, but might be worth exploring that via internet.

Anyway, with the colder weather that is predicted for this week in GA, your outdoor stuff may be limited.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

Thanks for the info. It's 82 here in San diego so the climate change will be dramatic. Do you have recommendations for some nice bars/restaurants with a view?

Crystal

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

As for restauraunt recommendations, we usually just day trip and eat quickly to way back. There is a decent Italian place (or was a year or so ago) on main street. Not sure of the name, but it is near where the railroad tracks cross the main street as you head "downriver" direction out of town. Just on the right.

I also checked the Restaurants reviews on here and the Augsburg Haus caught my eye.

Below is a link to chowhound website when I did an Augusta search. I like the chowhound sites to find good places to eat when we travel.

http://search.chow.com/search?query=augusta%2C+ga&search_board_id=11&search_boardgroup_id=5&sort_mode=newest&type=Topic&from_date=1+year+ago

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/407049

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

Thanks I'll check it out!

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
500 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

According to my wife, the best spa in Augusta is the Tuscany http://www.tuscanyclassicspa.com/. There is no Courtyard Marriott in N. Augusta. The only one in town is on Stevens Creek Road and Riverwatch parkway (exit 200 off I95). There are a few good bars in the downtown area on Broad Street. Try Joes Underground. Bistro 491 is safe bet for a nice dinner.

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
500 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

"The Augusta Country Club where Masters is held is also in town."

Masters is not held in the Augusta Country Club, but rather in the Augusta National Golf Club. Two are completely different.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

Thanks for update on correct Masters course. Is there any museum or something that could be visited related to Masters? We usually don't get on that side of town, although we did eat at a pretty good restaraunt near the course in a small strip mall. I think it was in a brick free standing building toward front of the location. The mall was not on the main 4 lane road, but a two lane just beside the course. I am thinking it may have been French Market or something, but it was really good.

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
500 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

"Is there any museum or something that could be visited related to Masters? "

Unfortunately no. Augusta National is very private and extremely exclusive. They are not interested in promotions.

The restaurant you refer to is French Market Grill. http://www.frenchmarketaugusta.com/.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice bars and restaurants? Spas? Best things to do?

I read once that there is a restaurant that some of the former caddies use as a hangout.If there is I'd make the one hour trip it'll take to get me there while in the area.Boy i'd like to be a fly on the wall(while grabbing some eats) to be around those guys.....anybody know?

Edited: 4:44 pm, January 19, 2010