We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Athens, GA, from Scotland!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Athens, GA, from Scotland!

Hi everyone!

I'm coming over for a week for a sort of extended job interview at the University and this is my chance to get a feel for what Athens is like and decide if I'd be happy living there. I'm so nervous/excited and I have no idea what to expect! If anyone could think of places to go and see or can give me any helpful advice, it would be much appreciated! :) :) :)

I don't have much time to explore as I'm probably going to be working a lot during my week visit, and I won't have transport other than my feet - but that's ok because I'm marathon training and I can cover a lot of ground!

I just hope I can fit in with the overall culture and atmosphere of the town, meet some like-minded people, and enjoy day-to-day life in Athens... but of course, this is all assuming that I get the job haha!! ;)

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Athens, GA, from Scotland!

You'll like Athens. It's a great town to move to. It has a nice little downtown, next to the university - very walkable. Once you move here, you can explore more - Atlanta is an hour away by car, the mountains are an hour away to the north, and the countryside around Athens is beautiful and good for running. Good luck with the interview.

Brewerton, New York
Level Contributor
166 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Athens, GA, from Scotland!

What are your interests, other than running?

Where will you be staying while in town?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,665 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Athens, GA, from Scotland!

I would try and stay downtown and not out on Hwy 316. That way you will be close to the restaurants, bars, etc.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Athens, GA, from Scotland!

You will love Athens! What time of year are you coming? Soon? The campus is lovely in spring.

As PeachBelle said, definitely stay downtown. Hotel Indigo would be my top pick. To get a feel for the city and the university: Spend lots of time just walking through campus, especially north campus. Browse the Georgia Museum of Art or ATHICA, or catch a show at the Performing Arts Center, Georgia Theatre or 40 Watt. Go to a UGA sports event, whatever's in season. Take your time strolling through downtown and all its unique shops (don't miss Wuxtry Records and R. Wood Studio). Drive out to the State Botanical Garden, which is gorgeous.

Go for a drink at the Globe, which tends to draw more professors, graduate students, etc. than most downtown bars. Have breakfast at Mama's Boy, lunch at the Grit and dinner at Five and Ten. Stop by the Grill for a malt or milkshake.

That's just a start, but however you spend your time, I think you'll have fun. Good luck!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
210 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Athens, GA, from Scotland!

If you're a runner I am going to assume that you like being outdoors. The North Georgia mountains have a lot of outdoor recreational opportunities--hiking, camping, and rafting--and you will find a lot of people to share those interests in Athens. I think your biggest challenge might be getting used to our hot weather in Georgia--MUCH warmer than Edinburgh! You might be able to wear your woolen clothing for few weeks in the winter. Also, if you move here be prepared to drive (on our side of the road), because public transportation is more scarce than in the UK, and the culture is very car-centered. I hope the trip and the job do work out for you and I want to welcome you to Georgia.

6. Re: Moving to Athens, GA, from Scotland!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, August 02, 2014