We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Teguciglapa in December 2018

Raleigh, North...
4 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Teguciglapa in December 2018

Hello!

We plan to travel to Tegucigalpa in December for a wedding, at Zamorano university.

US state department has a level 3 travel alert (Reconsider your travels)

I'm concerned....

Is the airport safe and should we be concerned traveling from the airport to Zamorano University

I hear the University area is Beautiful.

Any locals out there that can please give me some tips, it would me most appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Tegucigalpa
Tegucigalpa
Francisco Morazan Department, Honduras
5 replies to this topic
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Teguciglapa in December 2018

is the airport safe?

Kootenays
Level Contributor
483 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Teguciglapa in December 2018

When I arrive in Tegus, I'm met and transported by locals. I'd ask your local contacts to make arrangements to pick you up.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Teguciglapa in December 2018

Here's my reply from the other thread you asked your question.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29202…

The US State Department has an alert everywhere except for themselves. America should be on that list!

Meanwhile, take precautions as you would when you go to a place where you don't know. Don't flaunt your wealth (keep your fine jewelry at home), walk around at night by yourself, or dabble in dangerous activities (don't buy or sell drugs, go home with a stranger or join gangs). Most of the "alerts" are gang related. That's the reason why families want to flee the country and take their children to seek asylum "up north."

Ask your wedding sponsors to arrange for a driver who will be waiting at the airport for you.

Smile and the world will smile back. Touch others with kindness and kindness will be returned. Learn basic Spanish for hello, please and thank you. You'll be surprised at what a difference it'll make! The people are beautiful.

Enjoy your wedding!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Teguciglapa in December 2018

the last time my mother visited me from the UK, she flew into the u.s. via miami and had to spend the night. the british government sent her a warning about Miami, it said foreign tourists are often targeted by criminals there and crimes involving guns are common..

its all relative but as others have said, just take sensible precautions and ask your hosts or your hotel to arrange taxi's for you.

Edited: 5:29 pm, June 06, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Raleigh, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Teguciglapa in December 2018

Thank you all for your suggestions! it is much appreciated.

We will be mindful of our surroundings and keep valuables at home.

We are originally from Miami and speak Spanish, and we are no stranger to challenging areas.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom!

Edited: 6:17 pm, June 06, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Traveling to Teguciglapa in December 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tegucigalpa