We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using San Pedro Sula as starting point

Which San Pedro Sula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
TO
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Using San Pedro Sula as starting point

Hello,

I'm thinking about flying into San Pedro Sula near Christmas, renting a car and driving around Guatemala, Honduras, Belize and Salvador (not particular plans yet) for about 2 weeks. Would like to see Mayan ruins, old towns, nice beaches, etc. I do not speak Spanish.

How safe is it? And how difficult is it to get by without knowing Spanish?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome!

Thank You all in advance.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using San Pedro Sula as starting point

With just 2 weeks I'd stick to Honduras - you can find all you name there. In addition to having too little time to go from country to country, it's unusual to find rental agencies that will let you cross borders with their cars. You'll be able to cram in more of everything that's great about traveling if you spend less time on the road.

If you stay on the main tourist track and drive during daylight hours you should be ok safety and language-wise. My photos and trip reports are below in case you're interested. Good luck!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using San Pedro Sula as starting point

If you will drive using a Garmin GPS it would be safer, bring one yourself as rental companies do not provide that service yet, if you need a GPS map visit www.travelinghonduras.com to buy one

Have fun

3. Re: Using San Pedro Sula as starting point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro Sula