We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety, 5-day urban roam-around

United States
Level Contributor
345 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
safety, 5-day urban roam-around

Am interested in taking new photos of SanPedroSula people, places, attractions, activities, dining, shopping, markets, malls. (just camera around neck, no bag) Have recently done same in Managua, Panama City, Santo Domingo. How does safety & crime in SPS compare? Prefer lodging where I can step outside & be in the center of photo opps -- like El Conde Peatonal is in Santo Domingo. Am hoping to spend $60/night or less for single with AC, room Internet, & even free breakfast if possible. Any suggestions, advice, appreciated. I gather by lack of activity on this forum, SPS itself is not tourist destination?

Edited: 10:19 pm, August 19, 2011
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety, 5-day urban roam-around

no not a tourist destination. most tourists to honduras head to the bay islands or copan.

sps has a bad reputation re. crime, walking around alone (especially at night) can be risky. i've visited markets etc. with no problem but i was usually with a local.

i've visited santo domingo alone and was more comfortable walking around there than in sps.

United States
Level Contributor
345 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety, 5-day urban roam-around

Thanks, that's almost enough to take me off SPS.

I would only do my photos during day -- still risky?

Would there be another safer city just a moderate bus

trip away from SAP Airport with sizeable historic district, multiple markets, modern shopping, modern business district?

San Pedro Sula
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety, 5-day urban roam-around

I think the comment is very hard San Pedro Sula has the problem as any oher city , New your , Los Angeles ( just to put names ) if you are not cautious or take unnecesary risk , you could find yourself in problems.

Many people who are experience in traveling have comon sense and they know how to travel safe , if you are like that you could find yourself experience a great time.

it is true that San Pedro Sula is NOT a turistic city ,but for what i read in your post you are looking for a urban city ( not a beach full of visitors taking the sun and drinking piña colada ) San Pedro Sula can give you that true aspect of life , that would make your photos real, if you try to capture the city as it is.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety, 5-day urban roam-around

I agree with Leo, not a problem if you stay off the bad areas, hire a car with driver (who will know the places you should avoid), to go about the city and nearby attractions, let me have you e-mail address and I´d be happy to give you a few names and contacts.

Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety, 5-day urban roam-around

San Pedro Sula has the highest murder rate of any city in the western hemisphere. Just a fact.

6. Re: safety, 5-day urban roam-around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro Sula