We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit flight arriving at night

MO
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Spirit flight arriving at night

I will be taking the new Spirit air flight at the end of July. This flight arrives at 11:25 at night if on time and customs, baggage etc. takes a little time. This will only be their 5th flight so I'm wondering if there will likely be any money changers at that time of night. If not, will the ATM in the departure area be accessable? I'm fairly confidant taxis will be there but anyone have thoughts on that as well? Is Microtel the only hotel near the airport? Hate to spend that much just to sleep for half a night but I have stayed at a number of the cheap hotels downtown and would not look forward to beating on the door in the middle of the night hoping the night guy wakes up. Are there any other options than to lay down the money for Microtel? Anything in La Lima maybe?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Spirit flight arriving at night

2comforted...thanks for the update, sure makes sense. Pls post about the Spirit flight when you return. I'm looking at late Feb or March.

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Spirit flight arriving at night

OB -

I took the Spirit flight in September 2007, my wife and daughter in December, and customs was open.

Eholbik (our Local Expert for: Honduras) indicated a few posts back that he had taken the flight several times and customs was open.

The issues I find with Spirit arrival time is that: (1) the airport taxi drivers have bumped their prices for the late arrivers (I am told to $25 from the daytime rate of $15), and (2) unless you have a hotel reservation you might find yourself, as did my wife who was expecting her brother to pick her up at the airport (a no-show), you can bounce around a couple of hours is sparkling downtown San Pedro Sula (Not) for a couple of hours looking for a room.

Notwithstanding the recent trashing of TACA airlines (www.TACA.com) here at TripAdvisor, I have never had a problem with them (50+ trips) and if you add up all the extras for taxis, hotel in San Pedro Sula, bus or the additional local flight and more taxis involved with Spirit, the TACA round trip from Miami to La Ceiba works out as good a deal with infinitely better arrival and departure times.

TACA owns Islena Airlines (one of the local airlines) and if you book all the way to La Ceiba with them out of Miami they have been selling the extra ticket to La Ceiba (retail $125 US) as a $30-$35 add on to their normal San Pedro Sula fare.

Please note that MicroTel Inn & Suites in San Pedro Sula is no more. The hotel is now operating under the MetroTel Express banner at the http://hotelhonduras.com/ address on the internet. Get your reservations early as it is a popular hotel.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Spirit flight arriving at night

thanks for your input...confirms what I was thinking! Good info about the add on to La Ceiba. I think I'll be flying TACA RT Mia to La Ceiba. Now I just have to decide which weeks.

24. Re: Spirit flight arriving at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 17, 2009