We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan-La Ceiba Daytrip ??

seattle
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Roatan-La Ceiba Daytrip ??

We were thinking about taking a day trip to La Ceiba during our visit to Roatan in Feburary, just to stroll around, do some souvenior shopping and see the city. I have checked the ferry schedule and it seems doable, but some inside advice would sure be great, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the details??

Anything that should not be missed ??

I have also heard about a new high speed ferry that's supposed to start running in early 2007, but havent found anything on the web yet. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance for your help !!

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Roatan-La Ceiba Daytrip ??

IM -

That new ferry has started running. Its approximately and hour and a half trip. For a day trip to La Ceiba your best bet is to take the 7:00 AM departure and the 4:30 PM return.

Kicking around the mercado area in downtown can be fun. Its a whole different world than Roatan. La Ceiba has a great Butterfly and Insect Museum. If you want to try a trip in to the mountains or rafting be very careful about the time. Omega Tours is a great operator.

Have fun!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

seattle
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Roatan-La Ceiba Daytrip ??

Gracias Charlie,

Sounds easy...

Do you know if the DHL store on Avenida Isidro will ship home packages for us ??

Also heard there was a great place called the "Iguana Bar" just out of town, maybe we'll stop in for a cerveza or tres... :-)

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roatan-La Ceiba Daytrip ??

IM -

If the information on the web is correct DHL has an office on Avenida San Isidro, the main north/south thoroughfare at 13th and 14th Street (Phone:440-4010, closed Sundays).

This would be four blocks south (north is towards the Caribbean) of the center of town block where you will find the Catholic church, the central park and municipal building.

You are right of course about the Iguana Bar & Restaurant, great food and great company. My current favorite is the shrimp with pasta with garlic basis sauce but the open grilled filete mignon is great as well.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduas

4. Re: Roatan-La Ceiba Daytrip ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:08 am, January 03, 2007
La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Roatan-La Ceiba Daytrip ??

IM -

I was just re-reading the posting guidelines and realized that I neglected to mention that my wife and I are the owners of the Iguana Bar & Restaurant. My apologies for the oversight. I do appreciate the opportunity to post here on TripAdvisor and try to stay religious about following the rules.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

6. Re: Roatan-La Ceiba Daytrip ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, August 22, 2009