We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight issues

austin,tx
Level Contributor
660 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Flight issues

I can't get a flight with decent connections to La Ceiba. I can go from Austin,Tx. to San Pedro Sula no problem.

Just need the best way to get to Hotel Palma Real in La Ceiba the easiest and most cost effective way.

Mentioned in this post
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Atlantida Department, Honduras
Austin
Austin
Texas
San Pedro Sula
San Pedro Sula
Cortes Department, Honduras
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight issues

You can shuttle or taxi to the bus station and take a bus heading east to La Ceiba; I like Hedman Alas buses.

www.hedmanalas.com

You could fly; there are options the regular search engines wouldn't include. I've read great reviews of Alice at Worldwide Travel for that sort of flight:

aboututila.com/TravelInfo/World-Wide-Travel/

You could also hire a private driver to meet the plane. I've had good success with Miguel Martel 504-962-00372 (dial 011 first if calling from the US); his email address is andresik04@hotmail.com . He is bilingual, reliable, and great company. Happy trails!

Mentioned in this post
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
376 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight issues

We have had a wonderful driver named Gustavo Boquin take us between San Pedro Sula and La Ceiba for the last 4 or 5 years on our annual trip to Honduras. His phone number is 504 3174-0002, and I usually reach him using WhatsApp. He is bilingual and friendly. His car is clean, comfortable and well air-conditioned. Best of all, he doesn't drive like a maniac, as we've experienced a couple of times with random drivers. He gets you from point A to point B as quickly as possible, but doesn't take unreasonable risks. We're already looking forward to our next trip with him at the end of March.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro Sula
San Pedro Sula
Cortes Department, Honduras
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
376 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight issues

Ooops, just realized that this was posted in January of 2016, not 2017. Oh well, maybe someone else will see this and be able to use the info.

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight issues

Hi! We are trying to get to picobonito from US. We have two options:

1. Fly to SAP and hire driver - downside is 3 hrs in car

2. Fly to Roatan arrive 9:30 am take Sosa 11:15 - but will that work?

a. Is same airport for intl arrivals and RTB-LCE flight

B. Is connection time enough?

C. What happens if intl flight delayed and I already bought 11:15 LCE flight - will Sosa change me to later flight?

D. Can we buy RTB-LCE ticket upon landing from US at airport? That gives most flexibility - do they ever sell out?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight issues

If you decide to fly into SAP and hire a driver, Miguel Martel is awesome - you would be met at the airport exit by a friendly face with a sign and ride in a nice vehicle with someone who is really personable and could talk to you about the countryside and the country - makes for a pleasant trip. His contact info is in Post 1.

I think you'd be fine with that timing but last trip into Roatán it took us more than an hour waiting in lines to get out of there, even carry on only. I would contact Alice at Worldwide if you decide to go that route - she will know all about needed layovers - the old link didn't work for me this morning but there's info here. utilaguide.com/utilatravel/utilatravelagents/

And of course, flying carry on only is always a good idea and speeds things up immeasurably. :-)

I would not wait to buy a ticket (or choose a driver) till you land - sometimes it works and sometimes you're left sitting for a seat in the next flight or 2.

Edited: 11:20 am, March 04, 2017
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight issues

Have you looked into flying from SAP after landing there?

United States
Level Contributor
714 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight issues

I would strongly consider a flight from SAP to LCE. Its quick and not that expensive. Check CM airlines and Sosa

Edited: 9:20 pm, March 04, 2017
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight issues

Hi. Flights from SAP to LCE have similar connection times so I think it's best to drive.

1. How long is drive from SAP to PicoBonito/Rio Cangrejal and is it easy or windy (my son gets carsick)

2. We are looking to split time b/w jungle and Roatan - we don't want to be rushed but are limited to 1 week + weekend, potentially a couple extra. How many days minimum/maximum would you recommend at each? We plan at jungle to white water raft, do mangroves, hike, swim in waterfalls, zipline

3. I am thinking to stay a few extra days in Roatan after my husband goes back to states. Is it safe/comfortable for myself plus kids (12 and 15) to stay on our own?

4. If we just like to snorkel, how many days minimum/max would you say is good for Roatan. Don't want to be rushed, but don't want to be overly bored either.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight issues

The drive should take 3-3.5 hours; most of the way it's not too windy if memory serves; might be more windy heading up into the mountains from La Ceiba but it's an interesting drive that parallels the Rio Cangrejal much of the way. I HIGHLY recommend Omega Lodge - great setting, good people, wonderful rafting, kayaking, hiking, and horse trips. www.omegatours.info

I would recommend at least 3 nights for the jungle part, more if you want to try a bit of everything. For Roatan a week or more would be nice, at least for us; there are some nice hiking opportunities in the Carambola Reserve, steel drum classes, some interesting villages to visit if beach and snorkeling isn't enough. I'd stay in West End to have access to restaurants, etc. - should be plenty safe for your group. Way off the beaten track I wouldn't be as confident about walking around by myself - basically good advice in any area you don't know well.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

Mentioned in this post
La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight issues

We are considering villas pico bonito. Big pool and in national park. Do u know about that?