We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Sambo Creek like?

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
What's Sambo Creek like?

We've been in Ceiba quite a few times, but have not been out to the Sambo Creek area. We're thinking about spending a few nights in the area in early May. In the past we've always stayed downtown because we like to be able to walk around to find things to do/restaurants, etc... We're considering staying at Paradise Found in Sambo Creek, but don't know what is in the area. We don't want to be "stuck" at one place for three days. Are there a variety of restaurants and bars within a reasonable walk of Paradise Found?

Thanks!

ee

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Sambo Creek like?

I found some info by reading reviews of properties on VRBO.com. Some nice rental properties and I read some that said there were a few beach bars/restaurants within walkng distance...hopefully someone who has experience there will post. We plan to be there sometime this Spring.

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Sambo Creek like?

Thanks, obxpat...this forum doesn't get a whole lot of traffic so any and all feedback is appreciated! As long as there are a few options available in the area, we should be fine. We have NO interest in renting a car, so we try to choose spots that have variety within walking distance, and we only have a few days to spend anyway. We'd talked about checking out Trujillo, but I think we've decided on Sambo Creek afterall.

Thanks again!

ee

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Sambo Creek like?

I liked Sambo Creek a lot. The zip lines were the best I've ever seen. A combination of Horse riding up Zipping down and intermittent dips in hot springs. There are two nice hotels just East of Sambo proper and only a few minutes walk along the beach. Villa Helen's where I stayed and Hotel Canadian next to it. Nothing is very far there, its a small town. A few nice little eateries along the road up from the beach. The people were friendly and its the gateway to the Cayos Cuchino Islands. Unfortunately the beach along the north coast isn't that great, but you can cool off.

There are buses heading east near the central park in La Cieba but a taxi would also be cheap. I think the ride was 20 - 30 minutes.

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Sambo Creek like?

Thanks, Mike! That's exactly the kind of information that I was looking for.

ee

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Sambo Creek like?

Me Too! Much appreciated. We also try not to rent a car so it's great to be able to explore and visit a few local type restaurants on foot. We have a friend to visit in La Ceiba and most likely will choose to stay up near or in Sambo Creek.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Sambo Creek like?

W stayed at Paradise Found this past July and had a great time. Dante and Kristen-owners/operators- are fun folk and will really take care of you while at Paradise Found. However there is very little do actually DO there unless you simply like hanging around. Sambo Creek is really just a quiet strip of sand beneath La Ceiba with a small handful of restaurants and other hotels/ B&B's. If you like to dive Dante can arrange scuba trips to Cayos Cochinos which are really awesome. There's a nice zip line tour-a little overpriced for what you get In my opinion-but still worth the half day or so. They will pick you up at Paradise Found..

As for food at Paradise Found, Dante will absolutely slay you with his cooking skills. The term "best burger anywhere" is often kicked around, but I think that Dante makes one of the world's best burgers bar none! In fact I'll go it on a limb here and say that Paradise Found has some of the best food in Central America. He really knows his stuff! And he loves what he does!

The actual B&B is nice but nothing to write home about-except that the price is right and the A/C is cold. The beds are comfy, you are actually ON the beach, and the dinners are terrific. And the showers are hot!,

PM me for more detailed in if you are interested in knowing more. Jrankney1@comcast.net

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Sambo Creek like?

Sounds like nothing Not to like! Thank YOU for this info! The Cayos dive is definitely something we would be interested in. Great food is a big plus for us and the proximity to the rain forest options is great.

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's Sambo Creek like?

Thanks, jrankney1! I love to hear from people who've actually "been there, done that". We've had some good email communication with Dante' and I think that we're probably going to stay with him.

It's hard to explain...we don't need structured activities per se, but the thought of an all-inclusive where you stay at the same place, eat at the same restaurant, drink at the same bar for a week sounds like one of the circles of hell to us. We mentioned that we'd heard we could catch a ride into Ceiba with him and that his cooking is excellent. He replied that we're welcome to hit the markets with him, and if he doesn't have a lot of other guests we can even come into the kitchen and cook with him which sounds great to us. Not what some folks would be into, but just right for us. We'll probably do some sort of zip-line/hot springs or snorkeling or whatever, but we're happy if we can wander up the beach to a different watering hole, etc...

Thanks again for the input!

ee

London, England...
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's Sambo Creek like?

The zip lining and hot springs at Sambo Creek are a lot of fun - one of my favourite experiences of Honduras!

…wordpress.com/2012/…

10. Re: What's Sambo Creek like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, May 31, 2013