We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in and around la Ceiba and stuff to do

Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in and around la Ceiba and stuff to do

I just found some really cheap plane tickets to La Ceiba for a long weekend next week. I know nothing about La Ceiba and I am researching like crazy to know what I am getting myself into. I think we will stay at the Villas Pico Bonito. It seems that it is about 15 minutes from La Ceiba town. We would also like to see a Garifuna village and go to Cayos Cochinos.

My first question is, how do we get around from there? Is it better to drive or are taxis cheap, safe and widely available? If driving, is it pretty crazy or relatively tame? I've never driven outside North America before.

Secondly, what in your opinion is the one must do as a day trip?

Thanks!!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in and around la Ceiba and stuff to do

i'm not familiar with the villas pico bonito, omega lodge is very good. taxis are inexpensive and plentiful, definitely better than renting a car.

cayos cochinos is the must do trip!!!

pico bonito cloud forest is pretty too.

as a town/city la ceiba itself is not worth the trip in my opinion, i've passed through it a hundred times on my way to the bay islands but have never been tempted to stay more than a night.

2. Re: Driving in and around la Ceiba and stuff to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 16, 2012