We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on transportation to Copan

Which La Ceiba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stillwater...
Level Contributor
848 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Info on transportation to Copan

We're looking for information on getting from La Ceiba to Copan and back in mid March. Is Hedman Alas the only bus company running there? And how much do they charge? I couldn't find the prices or the length of travel on their website.

Anyone have any experience with making this trip, by bus, private driver, or rental car?

We've driven many rental cars in Mexico, and Costa Rica, But this is our first trip to Honduras

Lisle, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

Thank you so much for the help! I think it sounds like we'd walk many places in Copan and in La Ceiba we only need to get the airport where we'd drop off the car and shuttle / taxi to everywhere else. :)

One more question for you... any maps you'd recommend? I'm not finding a whole lot of up-to-date maps online for the drive. Anything you would recommend in that regard?

Thanks again for your feedback!

Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

I cannot help with respect to maps since I never had the need for them. The road system is limited, however, and the "brochure" type maps available at hotels were all I used.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

Just read this post. So glad you were able to reconnect with Eli. He was very helpful.

Lisle, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

Okay, one more question... any need for 4x4 on those main roads? Sounds like a basic car would suffice. A compact car better for narrow roads? or something larger for safety?

Thanks again.

Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

A four by four in my opinion is not necessary, though the extra metal is something beneficial from a safety standpoint. In San Pedro, Tegucigalpa and La Ceiba the smaller vehicle is a convenience - think driving and parking in New York from a congestion standpoint. Additionally, there are few automatic transmissions available for rent. If you are going to rent a vehicle, inspect it thoroughly, noting every dent and crack in the glass since the car rentals will charge for what in the states would not even be noticed. I would and have always paid for full coverage.

Enjoy Copan and if the egrets are in residence, don't fail to take the drive or tour to see them return to the lake - an inspiring sight.

Colorado Springs
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

Where did you stay in La Ceiba, and did you like it.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

i've done the trip to copan from la ceiba on helman alas and it was great. it takes about six and a half hours , via san pedro sula, all for around $70 (my mum paid $40 as a "mature" person). the buses are great, mercedes benz, very modern with comfortable seats, movies and a bathroom. they serve complimentary drinks and snacks (like a plane) too. just bring a jacket or sweater on board, the a/c can be too much sometimes.

Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

I am a 60 year old, quiet and non night life person, so I was not fond of La Ceiba. I was in La Ceiba for 6 weeks in May and June 2009 at a Spanish language school and stayed with a local family as part of an immersion program. The young students and volunteers liked La Ceiba, which has an active night life.

If you are looking for a nice, quiet clean and economical hotel that is only a mile or so from the city and and a quiet section of beach and less than two miles from the night life and active beach and hotel area, I can recommend the Hotel Rocamiel - I believe it was around $40 per night. I stayed there for two nights and since it was air-conditioned and near the Spanish school I often studied in their restaurant and bar. Friendly people and the bartender spoke excellent English and helped me with my studies. It does not have a pool.

I have also stayed years ago in the La Quinta hotel which has a nice pool, bar and restaurant and though on the main road it is not downtown. It was equivilent to a Best Western and reasonably priced. If you are looking for a resort like hotel, with a nice small waterpark, I have been to the waterpark at the La Palma and it is nice - I have no comment on rooms since I have not been in them.

The Hotel Paris discussed in the reviews is downtown and walking distance to the night life and the parque - it looks reasonable.

If I were looking for a quiet place, near La Ceiba I would stay at the La Delfina B&B a few miles outside the city. If I wanted to be at a upscale hotel, and wanted to be in the center of the night life I would choose the Quinta Real based on its location, newness and appearance - I ran by the hotel and ate at a restaurant near it. A friend of mine stayed at La Bonita, in the preserve and she loved it - it is expensive.

In reading through the hotel review here on Trip Advisor, you need to take them with a grain of salt. It is easy to identify the gringos who expect things to be like home - in Honduras they will not be which should be no surprise. I loved Honduras in 1997-1998 when I ran a cigar factory in San Pedro Sula and when I decided to study Spanish, Honduras was my choice. I returned to Texas in July 2009 to work with a company planning on Chapter 11. When I finish in April or May, I will going back but this time to Trujillo.

19. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 24, 2010