We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on transportation to Copan

Grand Marais...
Level Contributor
929 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Info on transportation to Copan

We're looking for information on getting from La Ceiba to Copan and back in mid March. Is Hedman Alas the only bus company running there? And how much do they charge? I couldn't find the prices or the length of travel on their website.

Anyone have any experience with making this trip, by bus, private driver, or rental car?

We've driven many rental cars in Mexico, and Costa Rica, But this is our first trip to Honduras

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
102 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

There are several bus companies...check this website to look for buses. Enter Copan as Copan Ruinas.

thebusschedule.com/hn/index.php?lang=en

Here is the travel times section of the Hedman Alas site: http://www.hedmanalas.com/arrivals.htm

Can't find the prices, sorry. I think we paid about $20 from SPS to La Ceiba for first-class seats. We also hired a private driver from La Ceiba back to SPS so we didn't have to wait 6 hours for the next bus. Can't remember how much that cost, but it was a comfortable way to travel and you see more than you do from the bus. We hired him through Casa El Meson in SPS - very nice people!

csfta
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

this is hedman alas information:

from la ceiba to san pedro sula 5:15 am, 10:00 am, 2:20 pm and 6:50 pm

from san pedro sula to copan ruins 11:00 am , 3:00 pm

it cost around $18 to $20 per person per ride so it will be around $40 per person,

from la ceiba to san pedro sula 3 hrs and from san pedro sula to copan ruins is around 3 1/2 hrs so in total 6 to 7 hrs plus the waiting time.

if you want a private transport email alex from la posada B&B at laposadasps@gmail.com they make that trip for $200 and they can pick you up from the ferry and drop you at your hotel in copan.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

We hired a private driver, Eli Gonzalez at naturalhonduras@yahoo.com He drove us from San Pdro to Copan spent the night, then drove us from Copan to La Ceiba (one night stay in SAP while we waited for the rest of our party. There were eight of us. The trip to and from was $ 550 over a 4 day period. It was definitely worth it to have a private driver. it's safer and he knows the way. You can relax and enjoy the trip. You might want to talk to him directly. He is very accomodating, speaks fluent English and is a good tour guide. We also stopped at the Botanical garden on the way to La Ceiba. We also gave him a tip.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
250 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

I did the reverse trip - Copan to La Cieba via Hedman. Think there was a reduced fare for whole route rather than two segments like above poster suggests although you do transfer buses in SPS like on an airline hub. SPS-LaCeiba route is crowded popular route verse SPS-Copan which was nearly empty both ways.

Canada
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

Did this trip couple of years ago. Don't remember the actual bus cost but it was not unreasonable. The colonial town of Copan Ruinas is charming. The ruins are within walking distance of town. The bus trip in is about 5 hours from San Pedro Sula through the mountains, so judge for yourself the pro's and con's of bus vs. car rental (would not reccomend it at night.)

Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

Thank you very much for mentioning Eli and leaving an e-mail address contact. I was able to get in contact with him after over ten years.

Eli was an employee at a cigar factory I ran in San Pedro Sula and was both reliable and honest. I initially met him as a result of a tour and he was an outstanding guide. I needed a translator and an administrative assistant and considered him a friend.

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

There are several bus companies that provide service between La Ceiba and San Pedro Sula with connections from there to Copan Ruinas, however Hedman alas is by far the best and safest transportation option for you. Cost is around 30 dollars one way. Service is not not stop, there is a short stay over at the terminal in San Pedro Sula. Travel time between La Ceiba and San Pedro Sula is just short of 3 hours, the same being true to the travel time between San Pedro Sula and Copan. Total travel time with the stop over will be around 7 hours. If you are driving, you can do it in less than 6 hours max. The road from La Ceiba to San Pedro is quite good, from San Pedro to Copan no so good. Road signals are easy to follow, so if you rent a car you should not have a problem. It is always a good idea to drive during the day and not at night. lots of vehicles on the road with no tail lights, this plus loose cattle makes driving at night quite hazardous!

Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

I would also not drive the Copan to San Pedro Sula road at night, having done it once. The lighting is almost non-existent. On my one trip at night we were on a straight away and a full size tractor trailor was in the road, stopped with not lights or cones. The only reason it was not a complete danger was the trailor was silver and our headlights reflected off the silver.

Lisle, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

Thanks for you information--I've been curious as to whether or not to rent a car for the drive to Copan from SPS. You say that drive is not so good--is it the roads? Congestion? Crazy drivers? I'm just concerned that I won't be able to get to some of the other places we'd like to go near Copan if we don't drive on our own--ruins, cigar factory tour, I think there's a coffee plantation tour near by and Santa Rosa de Copan sounded charming too.

From Copan we will then be heading to La Ceiba so your information is very helpful to my journey!

Thanks!

Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info on transportation to Copan

Actually the roads are not that bad, the issue is driving at night. A warning, however, you are likely to encounter livestock on the road as well as road repair (unpaved) work with no warning.

Once in Copan, and in La Ceiba, I would recommend taxis or tours. When I was in La Ceiba for 6 weeks in May/June I only rented a car for one weekend to visit my goddaughter in Sonaguera and then only because the bus service was the non-Hedman coach and taxis were far more expensive for that distance.