We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

white water rafting- Warning! please read

usa
2 posts
Save Topic
white water rafting- Warning! please read

Warning to other tourists interested in white water rafting the Rio Cangrejal with the company Jungle River Tours. A friend of mine lost his life while taking part in a 1/2 day rafting excursion with Jungle River Tours. The accident occurred while the river was high in a section of the river that was class 5 rapids. (the company advertises trips in class 3-4 rapids!)

The location where the accident occurred is known to be extremely dangerous. All other rafting companies avoid this section of the river, especially in high waters as were the conditions that day. The guide put the lives of his tourists at risk and a life was lost. It is not normal practice by the other companies to have tourists on that part of the river nor in class 5 rapids! Unfortunately, it seems this company more commonly takes these risks (unbeknownst to tourists) and lives have been lost before. So far, I have learned of two other tourist deaths in the same location with the same company. One death occurred a few months prior, and the other occurred one year ago.

Please take caution, tourists should not be brought into class 5 rapids. Unfortunately, it is easy to put your trust in a local company and a guide who should know the river.

Omega Tours
Horseback Riding Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, River Rafting & Tubing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: white water rafting- Warning! please read

I guess this was the accident that happened in Nov.2007. I'm so sorry for the loss of your good friend.

We did the whitewater rafting with the Jungle River Lodge in March 2008 and found they were the only company that put you through intensive training drills before allowing you to raft. They had us swimming across the rapids, jumping in the the river and free floating in the rapids. I notice that the other tour groups including Omega tours don't do this. I felt very safe with the Jungle River guys. Johnny was great! I guess there are always chances of someone getting hurt or even die in some sports. As Johnny told us the day we were on the river, "you are in the river and God's hands". He has been very hurt by this accident and it will live with him for the rest of his life I'm sure.

Mentioned in this post
Jungle River Lodge
Jungle River Lodge
100 Reviews
La Ceiba, Honduras
La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: white water rafting- Warning! please read

So sorry you lost your friend. We were on the river that day.They never should have done that drop, the water level was too high. We were with Omega Tours, they are the ONLY company that Uses international licensed raft guides!

Again my condolences.

Mentioned in this post
Omega Tours
Omega Tours
120 Reviews
La Ceiba, Honduras
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: white water rafting- Warning! please read

Is this the accident involving the gentleman from Colorado a couple of years ago, or are we talking about something recent?

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
usa
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: white water rafting- Warning! please read

this accident occurred recently - November 2008. Unfortunately there was another death with the same company the year prior. The river was high on both occasions and other companies were avoiding that section of the river or not running boats at all.

5. Re: white water rafting- Warning! please read

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 18, 2009