We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

banana republic guest house (or rec for a cheap, good place)

Chicago, IL
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
banana republic guest house (or rec for a cheap, good place)

Need to spend one night in La Ceiba on my way to Roatan in a few weeks (won't get in early enough to catch the afternoon ferry).

Was looking at the Banana Republic Guest House, but came across a note on another site that warned about security there (vivatravelguides.com/central-america/hondura…). Has anyone stayed there recently?

Single female (late-20s) traveling alone. Have traveled through S. America alone and speak enough Spanish that I can get along without English.

Thoughts on Banana Republic or another place to stay? Don't want to spend a lot of money and don't need anything fancy. Just clean and a reasonable expectation of safety.

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: banana republic guest house (or rec for a cheap, good place)

We never stayed at the Banana Republic but we met the owner... she is a Canadian that married a Honduran. Her husband Oscar owns the Jungle River Lodge. I think La Ceiba is safe as long as you travel around during the day. We walked around the whole city with our son 8 at the time and had no problems. I heard at night is a hole new ballgame.

We went to the Banana Republic to meet up with the truck to take us to the Jungle River Lodge. It seemed very nice. You can find info. at www.jungleriverlodge.com . I don't know of any other hostel in the area.

Good luck and enjoy your trip : )

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
376 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: banana republic guest house (or rec for a cheap, good place)

We always stay at the Gran Hotel Paris which is right on the central park. There are restaurants and a grocery within a short walk, and we feel safe there. It is by no means a resort hotel, but we have always found it to be clean and comfortable. It has a small pool and bar area in its courtyard which is a relaxing spot to spend a little time. The rates usually seem quite reasonable, as well. Taxis are always available day or night right outside the front door. I hope you enjoy Ceiba!

ee

Kootenays
Level Contributor
503 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: banana republic guest house (or rec for a cheap, good place)

I stayed at Banana republic guest house two years ago and found the owner and staff friendly and helpful. It was inexpensive and comfortable. They've moved buildings since then but since it's the people that make the place, I'd try them again.

vancouver
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: banana republic guest house (or rec for a cheap, good place)

I stayed there about 18 mths ago and had no issues. Would go back again. I am middle aged/female. Used taxi to get from there to/from restaurant at night.

Clean adequate room, shared b/room was also clean.

Santiago de los...
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: banana republic guest house (or rec for a cheap, good place)

Hi!

Maybe it is a little to late, but next time you can stay at hostal Las Guacamayas, it is a clean and safe place to stay, very friendly and cheap. The web page is www.hostallasguacamyas.com, (504) 406-8198.

Enjoy your visit to Honduras!

6. Re: banana republic guest house (or rec for a cheap, good place)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, October 18, 2009