We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

banking/money exchange

Toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
banking/money exchange

I will be staying at the Palma Beach Resort next month and was wondering how much money to bring. Is it difficult to exchange funds? is visa or mastercard easily accepted? are there any international ATB maching in La Ceiba that we could withdraw from a Canadian account?

Ancaster, On
Level Contributor
71 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: banking/money exchange

Hi,

We stayed there in Jan/Feb and had a great time.

Turasur the tour company that runs out of the hotel does take Visa and Mastercard if you plan on taking tours with them.

In La Ceiba there are several bank machines that will accept Cdn bank cards. Just keep in mind that to get to La Ceiba, it will either be a $20 cab ride each way or a $10 per person bus with the tour company.

I would suggest bringing some spending money until you can get to La Ceiba. It is advisable to bring lots of smaller denominations for tipping etc.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: banking/money exchange

Just to add to that the Palma Real does not keep much change on hand, so take small bills with you and don't expect to get them there. The hotel does charge a small fee for exchanging money.

Also, we paid $15/ cab to town each way. There is also the choice of the local bus which costs less than $1 or 15 lemps, and you just have to walk out to the main road to catch it.

ATM machine at the mall that you can withdrawl from Cdn account.

Brantford
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: banking/money exchange

I have some of the same questions. My husband and I will be leaving next week for Palma Real. We are wondering if we should take American or Canadian money? Do they take American? Does the hotel exchange Canadian and American money? Also is there a spa at the resort and do they take MC or Visa? What about the stores in town , do they take credit cards? Thanks for any help

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: banking/money exchange

US dollars are accepted almost everywere. Do not bring Canadian, you'll just be carrying it home.

They have changed most of the ATM's to international now.

The exchange on US is 18.89Lemps to $1.00

Credit cards are also accepted most places, ( just not in the market area and smaller shops).

Have a great trip!

Toronto
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: banking/money exchange

thanks to all who responded - your input is a great help.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
34 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: banking/money exchange

I've haerd that when you use a Visa/MC you incure a 6-8% fee in Hounduras in general. Did any of you find that?

thanks

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: banking/money exchange

I bought some shoes in La Ceiba and i am just reading my bill. They were 420 HNL @ .0532 = $22.84 cdn.

Should of bought them in every color...lol

8. Re: banking/money exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, September 23, 2009