We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

Inver Grove...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

We will be in Roatan in May and thinking about going to LaCeiba, but the US Department of State "warns U.S. citizens to carefully consider the risks of travel to the Department of Gracias a Dios in Honduras. In addition, the greater urban areas of San Pedro Sula, Tegucigalpa, and La Ceiba have notably high crime and violence rates. " Has anyone any advice about traveling to La Ceiba given this warning?

19 replies to this topic
Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
880 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

You should carefully consider it.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,588 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

Where are you coming from? There are travel "warnings" for cities in the US, too.

Why are going to La Ceiba? To buy a scooter? Shop at Walmart? There are lots of people who go to La Ceiba, but they're usually on a "mission."

Make sure you don't miss the boat!

https://www.facebook.com/UtilaFerry/

Edited: 10:04 am, April 12, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,588 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

Sorry, wrong ferry. You will want the Galaxy Ferry, not the Dream Ferry.

http://roatanferry.com/schedule-fares/

Info on La Ceiba

roatanferry.com/destination-guides/la-ceiba/

Edited: 10:07 am, April 12, 2017
wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
840 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

You will be fine with all the usual common sense precautions you would take in any unfamiliar city - don't flash valuables, ask about neighbourhoods to avoid (especially at night), things like that.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

not sure why a visitor would want to go to la ceiba, it has nothing of cultural or natural interest. if you're going to la ceiba in order to travel up to pico bonita cloud forest i wouldn't worry at all.

i have been to la ceiba 100+ times without incident, just use common sense, however i wouldn't go there if it wasn't to shop for my home on utila or to pass through in order to go somewhere else.

Inver Grove...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

Thank you for all the replies. Yes we want to go to Pico Bonito or Rio Cangrejal area. Also thank you for the ferry suggestions, I had found the Galaxy thinking that would be an option.

Inver Grove...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

We just got back from the Honduras, we took the Galaxy Ferry over and back from Roatan. We had a shuttle arranged by Omega Tours to the Eco Lodge. It was fabulous and went very smoothly. I would definitely recommend travel to the mainland, though use common sense and be prudent. We talked to several Hondurans that had lived in La Ceiba prior to our travel.

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

I go to La Ceiba to visit loved friends. I shop, visit the beach and visit local areas including Pico Bonito and Sambo Creek. I will say I have seen many more tourist police than I did a few years ago. I have never had a problem in the city. That said I follow common sense guides. I am not out at 2AM and I am with friends who know the city. There are good people and there are bad people everywhere. I have found the people of Honduras to be humble, kind and helpful.

Saginaw, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

Do you feel it would be safe for overnight stay to catch morning ferry?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings

My husband and I were flying from La Ceiba to Utila and our flight was cancelled due to weather. That meant an overnight in La Ceiba. No problems. Went out for a nice dinner and enjoyed ourselves. Just the usual travel precautions. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Reply to: Crime in La Ceiba State Department Travel Warnings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted