We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange money at border or in banks?

Which Copan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Topic
exchange money at border or in banks?

hi,

where has better dollar to L rate? guatemala border or in banks in honduras?

thanks!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchange money at border or in banks?

there is a bank at the border and also money changers standing outside, i doubt going to the bank in san pedro sula would save you enough to bother unless you're planning on changing a large sum.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchange money at border or in banks?

FWIW, when I crossed on Saturday, the moneychangers were offering 19L to the dollar. The bank in Copan is giving about 20.5 to the dollar.

Tegucigalpa...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: exchange money at border or in banks?

Do change at the bank, has better rates like mentioned before and I think you can rest safer the money is good

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: exchange money at border or in banks?

A warning about the border money changers. If you use them... and they can be good for changing Quetzals into Lem.. is to bring your own calculators. There is such a thing as a rigged calculator. In other words... 2+2=5. They show up at border crossings all over the world.

5. Re: exchange money at border or in banks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 07, 2014