We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whalesharks

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Whalesharks

I've been seeing alot of posts on Facebook about Whalesharks being in the area now. What is the procedure for trying to jump on a boat to see them? Do the shops call you when they've been spotted or do you just sign up to go out in advance and hope you get lucky?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whalesharks

the dive boats look for them between dives or you can go out with the whale shark research place looking for them. there's no call letting you know, just luck of the draw and this week has been lucky. there have been whale sharks everyday and lots of spinner dolphins too!

Virginia
Level Contributor
380 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Whalesharks

Hope they stay until the end of March!

Perth, Canada
Level Contributor
298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whalesharks

Arrived in Utila last night, fingers crossed!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whalesharks

I had heard that sometimes the full moon will increase sightings. Don't know if that's true or not but the full moon falls smack dab in the middle of our trip, March 16th. Hopefully we will be on the beach enjoying Chez Lola's food that night.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whalesharks

I think we see whale sharks most in the days right before and right after the full moon.

Chez Lola is wonderful, best food in the bay islands

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whalesharks

I think we see whale sharks most in the days right before and right after the full moon so hopefully you'll have good luck. They were seen 4 days last week & spinner dolphins everyday

Chez Lola is wonderful, best food in the bay islands

7. Re: Whalesharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 20, 2015