We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel From Roatan to Utila

Which Utila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pasco, WA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel From Roatan to Utila

We are making a trip to Roatan in February and plan to spend 3 nights in Utila. Our flight to / from the U.S. is through the Roatan airport. What's the best way to travel from Roatan to Utila and back? I see that there is a catamaran ferry that goes direct between the islands and then a ferry (or airplane) that goes to the mainland and back out to the islands. What is recommended?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel From Roatan to Utila

capt.vern sails his catamaran between roatan and utila daily.

he leaves roatan at 1pm, arriving on utila around 4.30pm. he leaves utila at 6.30am arriving on roatan at around 10am. the cost is $55 each way.

alternatively you can fly between the islands on air guanaja, it costs around $200 roundtrip and takes about 15 minutes.

Pasco, WA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel From Roatan to Utila

Thanks for the info. So does the flight on Air Guanaja go direct between Roatan and Utlia (bypassing the mainland)?

Any changes recently in the safety of Utila? I hear that the peace corps is withdrawing its volunteers on the mainland, but was curious if there was any increase violence / crime on Utila? Do you reside in Utila? My family has read some articles recently and is getting concerned about our safety on our upcoming trip.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel From Roatan to Utila

yes the air guanaja flight is direct as is the catamaran (just much slower).

i've been living on utila for six months a year for the past five years and crime here has remained relatively low that whole time.

i read about the peace corp for the first time here on tripadvisor today. the area that the poster is talking about is near the capital city, tegus. along way from the coast or the bay islands but still it surprised me, i'm going to do some investigating. however i wouldn't let it deter you from visiting, utila and roatan always feel safe to us and we travel on the mainland relatively often as well.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel From Roatan to Utila

it appears that the peace corp is leaving honduras in january and will be sending no more members to guatemala or el salvador.

the new york times reports that the peace corp is not sighting any particular incident for the move but a general lack of security as the reason.

Pasco, WA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel From Roatan to Utila

Thank you. Appreciate the input. From what I have read, I'm comfortable traveling to Utila / Roatan ... it's the family staying home that had some concerns.

6. Re: Travel From Roatan to Utila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 28, 2012