We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit?

Which Utila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit?

Hey guys, I searced the forum but didn't come up with much regarding the best time to go. I just found out that my sis and her boyfriend had separately been talking about going to the Bay Islands so it looks like we'll be traveling together! What time of year is the best? I searched aboututila.com and April-June seem to have the least amount of rainfall. Are these the best months to go? Myself, sis and her bf will be snorkeling, kayaking, whale shark watching. Husband will want to dive also. Thanks!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit?

March-September are the best months, weather wise. March-may & aug-sept tend to be the best whale shark months.

Based on the activities you mentioned I would suggest you stay on the south/south west shore, where snorkeling, beaches, coral reefs & cays are all close by.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit?

Great, thank you! I saw some villa rentals on vrbo.com and one in particular caught my eye (Pineapple House). But it says it's only accesible by boat. So how do you get around? We like to eat local food and will need to shop for supplies. Do you have to call a water taxi? Is it possible to kayak to town? Other than this home, would bikes or a golf cart be the most common mode of transport for tourists? I like your suggestion of staying near the southwest part of the island but we will need to be able to get to town as well.

Also, if Aug and Sept are good months for seeing the whale sharks, is there much concern for storms since it's "H" season? Thanks again!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit?

hurricane season is pretty quiet on utila (mitch was the last serious one in 1998) but you never know, certainly march-may is safer, travel-wise.

we are neighbors (5 min walk) of the pineapple house and stayed there twice during our home construction, its very nice. the house has a caretaker with a boat and he transports guests to utila town etc., so no need for a water taxi and the house has kayaks for paddling to the cays for lunch or basic supplies. also, the rental agent stocks the house with food and drinks before you arrive. utopia resort ( beach bar and very nice restaurant) is only a 10 minute walk up the beach.

imo there are really two utilas, the town and the rest of the island. the town is, well its a town, not much in the way of a beach, reef or quiet but lots of bars, hotels, nightlife etc. the rest of the island is all boat access only but it has miles of empty beaches (eg. the south/southwest shore has about twenty beach front homes spread out over four miles of beach) and coral reefs starting literally twenty feet from the shore. the north and west shores are also beautiful but there's no where to stay, they're completely undeveloped.

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit?

We went in October and again in May and May was wayyyyy better. We knew that October was rainy season (pretty much every day) and it didn't disappoint us. Not a bad thing as we got to know our way around and found everything before we went back in May. May was awesome (though we didn't get a whale shark. My only suggestion would be that if you look late spring...be aware of Semana Santa....it's a huge holiday and I understand that Utila is very busy and most crowded with mainland hondurans and central south americans.

I've not stayed at or seen the Pineapple House but we really really like the Round House where we stayed both times,

http://www.vrbo.com/66621

It's about a 30 minute walk to town, you can rent a golf cart from the owner (or local rental places), very private, nice and quiet, good AC in bedrooms and bodacious overlook of the water. Plenty roomy, 2 bdr, 2, bath, great kitchen and porch all the way around the house. Fairly good snorkeling right there or you can walk up to Coral View and snorkel off their pier (maybe 100 yards) for the price of a beer or soda from their pier bar. I also dove with Coral View Dive Center both times and was very happy with their service.

We ate in town almost exclusively (cept for a couple of beer cheez and crackers dinners and takeout pizza a couple of nights and it's nicely located for bikes or golf carts or a bit of a nice walk.

Feel free to PM if you gots any questions

joe

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit?

Just reread what I posted and forgot to say that we went the second week after Semana Santa (may 1 to 15) which is kind of the lull between winter visitors and busy summer. Everything was open (unlike in October) but no waiting anywhere or crowds. The water wasn't quite as warm as it gets in summer (as I understand) but it was most comfie in a shortie wetsuit. Coral View Dive Shop had one boat going out and it was only me and a divemaster every day ( except 3 days.when we had two other divers) for two weeks. They were expecting a group of 18 the following week so I was most happy for the personal attention.

Southwest New Mexico
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit?

Dive Nuts - what are your comments about the weather for Nov/Dec then? and the water temps? Do we need to wear a wet suit? thanks!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit?

the water will be in the upper 70's, maybe 80f. i don't wear a wet suit but my wife does, everyone is different. expect rain, november is usually the wettest month of the year so underwater visibility won't be the best.

Southwest New Mexico
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit?

Thanks Dive Nuts - I sure hope that during mid Nov to mid Dec we'll have some cool diving/snorkeling adventures - this is the only time we have off from working in Antarctica to get in some R & R.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit?

The island is so small that where you stay doesn't matter all that much. Renting bikes is cheap and the golf carts are good for exploring the farther out areas, like the north shore.

You can probably get a good deal at the Nightland cabins (the Jade Seahorse). Worth every penny since it is more than just a place to stay.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit?

Where you stay in town doesn't much matter but if you want to see the beautiful beaches & get away from the tourists rent a place on the south or southwest shore, that's where you'll experience Caribbean paradise.