We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beachfront accommodations?

Which Utila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
beachfront accommodations?

Are Utila's beaches as nice as Roatan's? Does it have as many beachfront accommodations as Roatan? (Proportionately for a smaller island).

Just looking at pictures on the web it looks like Utila has a lot of docks, and over-water buildings and maybe not as much white sandy beach front.

I'm looking for a little beach front bungalow with an easy walk to restaurants and town. Any ideas?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beachfront accommodations?

utila has spectacular beaches but not in town. most hotels and rentals are in and around town. all the beach front rentals on utila with beautiful private beaches (ie. the pineapple house, the cabana at big rock, sandy cay, little cay) are a couple of miles away from the town and accessed by boat.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beachfront accommodations?

As above, the hotels that are walking distance to restaurants and stores might be over the water or close to the water but not near a beach. We love the Lighthouse - wrap around decks over the water, clean, bright rooms with kitchenettes, great location near the old airport where there's a decent small beach (for a small fee), great snorkeling, good flyfishing. It's also 2 doors down from my favorite dive shop (Alton's) which is across the street from our favorite restaurant, BJ's Barbecue.

aboututila.com/AccomInfo/…Index.htm

The www.aboututila.com website is helpful.

On Roatán there are nice beaches all over, easily accessible, easier to find snorkeling from shore. That's where you'll have to look for the bungalow you're describing, likely in/near West End. We've stayed in other parts of the island (not easy walks to restaurants) so I can't help there.

My photos, blogs, and travelogues are below if you're interested. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
409 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beachfront accommodations?

Thanks for the quick replies!

I was thinking Utila was a better fit for us as we like less hustle and bustle, but it doesn't sound like it has what I'm looking for =(.

I'm picturing Roatan to be like Hawaii - crawling with tourists. Would you agree?

Also on my short list are:

San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Corn Islands, Nicaragua

Holbox Island, MX

I have been leaning more towards Honduras because it seems a bit "less dscovered" than other places.

Have either of you been to some other small islands or small beach villages you would recommend? I think I found perfection at Samara, Costa Rica, but I wanted to try a new place.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beachfront accommodations?

In general the only tourist crawling you'll find on Roatán is West End and West Bay on cruise ship days. Even on those days, the vast majority of the island is pretty laid back. Lots of choices. We prefer solitude and local villages to tourist places so have chosen to stay in Sandy Bay or the east end of the island; heading back for more of the same this summer.

You could consider Puerto Morelos, Mexico, or Isla Mujeres off Cancún. Or Caye Caulker, Belize?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beachfront accommodations?

the corn islands is still very tough re. transportation, accommodation and i thought crime as well , especially little corn island.

6. Re: beachfront accommodations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 25, 2012