We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Cay Review

Which Utila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pnwtoc
Level Contributor
94 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Little Cay Review

Here’s my review of Little Cay. We only spent two days there in December.

Little to no swimmer’s beach: If you are expecting lots of great sand to walk around or lay out on, it’s not there. As with much of the Caribbean, the “beach” is pretty much all rock. You’ll need to bring water shoes for pretty much the entire time. You can’t really walk anywhere (on the island, on the beach, or in the water) without shoes.

Offsetting this by far though is the water and snorkeling. The colors of the water are gorgeous. Turquois like you would see in Cozumel. The underwater life is really great (granted I’m an amateur snorkeler so take it for what it’s worth). The thing that I thought was really great was how easy it was to get to see some pretty great stuff. You can go down off the ladder at the end of the northeast pier and just lower yourself into the water and see some great fish, plants, and coral. So even if you aren’t comfortable swimming you can just hold onto the ladder and still have some of the experience. Off the south side of the island, you can walk out several feet where the water is just 3 to 4 feet deep and stick your head underneath and see some good fish. Butterfly fish for example. There’s plenty more for the more adventurous but I’m just trying to make the point that even if you aren’t very comfortable with the water there will be some opportunity for you.

There’s a cat on the island. They said they put him there to keep the rats away. I never saw any mice, but the cat is quite annoying. He sticks to you like glue. Not matter how many doors and windows you close, he always find a way back in to where you are. He’s like a ghost. He can be annoying at night, constantly meowing. It kept us awake quite a bit. Ironically, when we arrived on the island we kept hearing the cat meow, but we couldn’t find him. Finally I found him shut in a closet. Apparently the previous renters had gotten sick of him and locked him up there. When I let him out I was pretty appalled that someone would do this. After a few hours of having him out, I understood a lot more clearly how it could happen.

Cleanliness. Only so-so. Sheets are not completely clean by any means. Looked like some towels had just been left hanging to dry from the previous renters. No way to know for sure, but that’s what it looked like. Not all dishes were perfectly clean either. Not dirty from food. Maybe just from sitting around and lack of use. Just dusty.

Not hot water. If you are going in a really hot month, this may be no problem. We went in December so it was pretty cool. The shower was quite painful. I had to go really fast.

Kitchen. Very spacious. Plenty of pots and pans, dishes, and silverware. It was somewhat primitive and old. Much of the silverware had rust spots. Gas stove and oven. A fridge (somewhat small). We had one dishtowel and an old sponge to wash with.

The house (not counting the cabin). I thought the house was really great. Very spacious. 3 bedrooms. One room has a double and a single bed in it, another 2 doubles and a single, and another a double and 2 singles. The dining room and living room are very spacious as well. Dining room has a table for 8 – 10. There are also bar stools at the bar in the kitchen. The living room has all outdoor furniture. Not as comfortable as your nice living room furniture, but it serves its purpose. They have a few books there as well as a puzzle and a Jenga game. We didn't use the cabin, so I can't really comment. It has a double and a single bed.

Rock wall. There’s a 3-foot rock wall built around a lot of the island. This is good because it blocks the waves and creates a little shallow pool – maybe 3 feet deep in the deepest part – that little kids can play around in if they aren’t comfortable getting in the real ocean. It’s still rocky here though and they’d have to wear shoes.

No TV or internet. If you want these things you really shouldn’t be coming here. If you happen to have a Honduran cell phone (Tigo) you can get a signal on the island though.

Not quite as remote as Sandy Cay. There’s another island relatively close to Little Cay. One way to explain it is to say that I didn’t feel completely comfortable running around nude everywhere because of the proximity of other island (of course just because I didn’t feel completely comfortable doesn’t mean I didn’t do it.) When we were leaving the island, we asked him to run us over to Sandy Cay quickly just so we could see what it looked like. I prefer Little Cay. The house is quite a bit nicer. Sandy Cay has way more sandy beaches though, so if that’s what you are after you should go there. There’s not that much difference between the two. Sandy is longer and narrower; Little is more rounded.

In case this seems like a long list of complaints, I don’t mean it that way. We had a great time and plan to go back. It truly is an island paradise. I mainly want people to be prepared for what it is. If you are picky and finicky about things, if you love big all-inclusive resorts and eating out, if you are not the type who would go camping (like in a tent) for several days, you might want to think pretty hard before going here. You need to be the type who can improvise if you forget something or if something is unavailable make do with what you have. Once you are there, you are there. It’s not easy to run to Walmart.

pnwtoc
Level Contributor
94 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Cay Review

A final note. If you place a high premium on privacy and solitude, you'll probably enjoy it here. If privacy isn't that important, some of the other minor things about the island might annoy you. If you like crowds and stuff to do, you'll go crazy.

Ontario
Level Contributor
144 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Cay Review

Thank you, I really enjoyed your report. I believe it was exactly how you wanted it to be -- informative. You explained realisticly how things are. It allows readers to make an informed decision whether it would suit their needs or not.

Again, thanks for a great report!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Cay Review

Hi!

Extremely helpful review!!

We are looking at Little Cay in April. I noted that you mentioned little to no swimming. Is that based on the shore line or if you get past the coral there is swimming in the deeper part of the ocean? Rhanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Cay Review

Hi I loved your review, but tell me allthough the shore is rock is it possible yo swim further out to the clearer water?

Edited: 1:33 pm, March 03, 2011
pnwtoc
Level Contributor
94 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Cay Review

I said there was little swimmer's beach. Meaning there's not much long stretches of nice sand (in or out of the water) to lay out on or walk around on. Mostly ironshore (rock).

But sure, if you swim far enough away from the island, you've got the whole ocean to swim in. There would be nothing to hold onto, rest on, or put your feet on though. If you plan on snokeling all that time that would be fine. Or if you had the little snorkel vest.

Some people like to be lazy and lay around on the beach or get into the shallow water and walk around. That's harder to do here. If you want to swim out, that's fine. For some people that's too much work and not relaxing enough.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Cay Review

Thank you!!

Cookeville...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Little Cay Review

I was going to make a reservation via money gram online and they said that that name had been flagged (they would not tell me exactly what that meant) and I could not send the payment online and would have to send cash at a money gram location. This sounds a little fishy... did any one else run into this? Has anybody made reservations far in advance with no problems? We are booking 2 weeks so it is a lot of money and I just want to be sure this operation is legit. Thanks so much!

pnwtoc
Level Contributor
94 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Little Cay Review

I used moneygram a few days ago with no problems. I did the 3-day option, not same day so I haven't got my confirmation numbers yet (expected it today). Anyway, I had no problems. Are you concerns about a "legit" operation regarding moneygram or the Jackson (the people who rent Little Cay). As far as the Jacksons are concerned, I find them to be a little low-tech but honest and above board. Sounds like they run the operation out of the house - you won't find them on any travel websites, etc. Just a website and a telephone. But that's part of what makes this great - it's off the beaten path.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Little Cay Review

the jackson family are great people, no worries they're honest

10. Re: Little Cay Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, February 21, 2013