We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money on utila

Which Utila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
money on utila

Could anyone tell me the best way of taking money to utila.whats the best kind of cards to take, and is the best currency to take dollers.Thankyou.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money on utila

cash is king on utila. very few places (mostly just hotels) take credit cards and those that do tack on a service charge. u.s. dollars are excepted everywhere and of course honduran limpera (available from money changers (legal) wandering the airport).

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money on utila

there are two atm's on utila, however they will only dispense you $200 a day and if the island is busy they frequently run out of cash.

uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money on utila

Thanks for that divenuts.

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money on utila

I agree with divenuts. I'm glad we'd brought a stash of dollars that were easily changed with a guy in a little shack on the main street (at a good rate and without a fee, by the way). Our first day, both ATM's were out of order and the line for the bank was literally out the door. Hubby stood in line for over half an hour and only four customers had been seen so he gave up. Definitely take plenty of cash!

ee

uk
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money on utila

Thanks are there safes in the hotels

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,793 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money on utila

not all, in fact most don't have them in the rooms, some don't even have them at the front desk. best to contact them.

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money on utila

Our hotel had a safe, but it was the kind with a key, not an electronic combination, so Hubby didn't trust it. I left my stuff in it, and it was all there when it was time to go home.

I've thought more about this question, and I should add that you don't have to bring enough cash for your entire trip. The atm's work a fair amount of the time, but you should be prepared to have enough cash on hand for at least a couple of days, just in case.

ee

8. Re: money on utila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 31, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Utila