We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Peace in Paradise!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Peace in Paradise!

I have been to Roatan and throughly enjoyed it; Now I am ready to go to Utila! At first I thought it would be my husband and I, but now it seems there may be family. So I started researching a 3 or 4 bedroom house on the water with a nice beach. (Well at least a small piece of beach with no turtle grass!) I came across the listing Casa Tranquila in Coral Beach, Utila. Has anyone ever stayed here or know anything about this house/community? I must admit at first glance the price for the house seems quite steep, could it be worth it or is this some kind of high-end community? Any advise or even suggestions for other homes would be greatly appreciated.

Our specifications right now are...

On beach, fairly private-off the beaten path for privacy. I would prefer the interior to be tastefully casual and not cluttered. Two weeks starting April 11, 2009.

Thanks is advance for any help!

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
75 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Peace in Paradise!

You can look at these rentals. vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…428

They seem a bit high for Utila, but there is a big difference between a 4 bed dorm room (~$5/night) and a secluded house. Off the beaten path I'm sure you are on a diesel generator, cystern water and boat only access. Also, the sand fleas will eat you up on the beach. I'm not sure if they are active all day or not, but they sure come out at night.

Realize this makes it tough to get to the dive shop in the morning.

I just got back last week and loved the island. Its not a cancun tourist location. Services are limited and the electricity went out twice while I was there.

I collected up some numbers and contacts for future reference. One person was renting new apartments on the main street near the dive shops. These apartments were new and with A/C, but were not on the beach. She had others on the beach but I'm not sure of the condition. I think the new ones were going for $250/wk and $400/mo if available. She may have access or knowledge about a house that would suit your needs.

Rita Whitefield ritakicku@yahoo.com

or via internet phone after 6pm mountain time 321-445-0602. She runs a boutique on the main street and this number rings at her house.

NorthCal, USA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Peace in Paradise!

Casa Tranquila is managed by Destination Utila and they are best contacted by sending an email to destinationutila.com This house, along with the neighboring house "Pelican's Nest" are indeed boat access only. Access is from the sea dock very nearby and also from a peaceful lagoon 50 yards behind which has a 24 hour watchman/caretaker. There are friendly ex-American neighbors nearby but out of sight and sound. You will feel like you own that part of the world. Dive shops may pick you up at the dock for diving trips, and if you like snorkeling you only have to go about 25 steps from your front door. Water is from a cistern but drinking water is supplied. Both houses have 24-hour town electricity, air conditioning, lots of room, stereo, DVD player, and full kitchen. Not sure about Casa Tranquila, but Pelican's nest comes with a local cell phone to call water taxis, restaurants, etc. and also a video library. Sand flies? Wear Repellent. Not exactly eco-tourism but close.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Peace in Paradise!

its probably not cheaper than casa tranquila but you should check out the rentals at www.utilabeach.com its very private and quiet, with lovely snorkeling right in front, if that's what you're looking for. we had no problem with bugs, was nice and breezy. the places in town that are cheap are fine if you're a young backpacker but if you're looking for something special are not recommended . i've visited utila for many years and have stayed at most of the hotels and resorts, and several rentals too. however we liked treasure beach because it was an amazing house and very peaceful. i liked utopia dive village too, definitely best hotel on utila (by a long way).

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Peace in Paradise!

Thank you for all the great information. At this point our plans have changed. My husband wants to have a 'cultural' vacation this April, so we have changed plans to Italy. Can't argue with that! I will eventually make it to Utila, just not this April! Thanks again for the input! Happy New Year!

5. Re: Looking for Peace in Paradise!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, September 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Utila
Recent Conversations