We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utila at New Year

scotland
1 post
Save Topic
Utila at New Year

We've been to Utila before. We were thinking of going for the New Year and i can get some more diving in. However we weren't sure if we should book or not. Does it get over run? we'll be bugdet backpackers so not looking for anything fancy.....we were there when they didn't have any electricity after midnight!! :-) We just need to know if we should book or not cos its such a celebratory time of year!

Thanks x

edmonton,alberta
Level Contributor
465 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utila at New Year

Hello, I would hold off on booking it now. Are you aware of Hurrcane ..FELIX. It is forecasted to hit the coast of Honduras, and the Bay Islands by next Tue/wed....as a Category 3..and then move on to Belize...as an even stronger Category. Go to: wwwweatherunderground.com Read Dr. Jeff Masters blog......and pray they are wrong.....but i doubt it!! If it keeps tracking the route that is predicted.....there won't be any diving operators....let alone no electricity after midnight....unless they can rebuild these islands(Guanaja, Utila, and Roatan) .....in 4 months. Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Belize
Belize
Central America
Guanaja
Guanaja
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Utila at New Year

At this time I would Ignore Playamons post. Of course anyone should know that storms can change anytime and a 5 day forecast is about as sure as a 20-1 bet at the kentucky derby

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
622 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utila at New Year

In all my travelling I would always recommend booking in advance during Xmas and New Years, no matter where you go.

Otherwise who knows what accomidations and things you will have.

It is only one night in advance and you can cancel up to one week if you need.

I would recommend Utila Dive Centre with the Mango Inn. They have a package with the Mango Inn that you can't beat.

Mango Inn-

Nice, reasonable, nice staff

Utila Dive Centre

They have a very nice facility w/ big study lounge, top dive facility, and all nice equipment.

Their staff and people are absolutely top notch.

4. Re: Utila at New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 09, 2009