We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan- West End vs West Bay

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Roatan- West End vs West Bay

We are planning a trip to Roatan this summer and are unsure to go either to West Bay or West End. From what I gather they are not far from each other and just looking for ideas. How about use of credit cards in these areas? We are going with 2 families and 5 children. 4 Adults are divers. Thanks for ideas.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roatan- West End vs West Bay

Its better to have cash.. thought most places take credit cards..we found some places to charge extra for them.. or sometimes the system was down...

If you perfer to be on a beach... go to West Bay... the disadvantage is there is not a nightlife or a street with different options to eat.

West End has plenty of bars & resturants... but a small beach at the other end of it. if you can take a water taxi to West Bay..but i perfer having my room right on the beach....and snokeling on west bay...

New York
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roatan- West End vs West Bay

Eholbik, thanks for the comment. How far is it between West End and West Bay. It seems from other comments snorkeling is better at West Bay. How is the snorkeling at West Beach, farther out? I think scuba should be the same at either?

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roatan- West End vs West Bay

Eholbik, thanks for the comment. How far is it between West End and West Bay. It seems from other comments snorkeling is better at West Bay. How is the snorkeling at West Beach, farther out? I think scuba should be the same at either?

Its not far.. by water taxi i think its like 10 minutes... or by scooter or taxi about 10-15 minutes as well.

Snokeling is very very good at West Bay.. i dont know how it is on the West End side...... the scuba sites are all along both sides. When we went most of the dives were done off the West Bay side.

I like West Bay because you awake up and your there... you dont have to worry about everyone leaving together for a water taxi at the end of the day.... you can lay on the beach while people go to dive..or to snorkel.. you can go back to your hotel room for a second and your right back on the beach.... instead of having to deal with the water taxi all the time....

hope that helps alittle...

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roatan- West End vs West Bay

There's some nice snorkelling at Halfmoon Bay too, at Halfmoon Bay Cabins. It's not as nice as the farside of West Bay. Still there is a lot to be said for staying in West End and taking the water taxi down to West Bay to enjoy your day.

I've never had any trouble fighting off the crowds to get a water taxi back at the end of the day. :^)

The advantage of being in West End, is access to variety of restaurants, bars and some nightlife, all at very reasonable prices. Meal prices are higher at West Bay and there is less selection.

All that said, it is beautiful at West Bay, but I love West End.

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roatan- West End vs West Bay

We own a house on Tabayana beach which is right in between West End and West Bay, and have explored both towns thoroughly in the last couple years. Roatan is an incredible island, with stunning natural beauty and wonderful people. There's lots to do with kids, both divers and non-divers: swimming and snorkling, canopy tour, horseback riding, playing with the dolphins at Anthony's Key, renting mopeds and exploring the island (although with kids I'd be careful).

West Bay is definitely more quite (except if you're anywhere near Henry Morgan's, then there's an incredibly loud DJ on the beach), a few moderately-sized resorts and lots of smaller places. But the beach is beautiful, no waves, great for kids. The snorkling is best at the western point near the black rocks (they call it "iron shore"). Diving is incredible everywhere, our favorite sites are along the West End wall. We always dive with Las Rocas. Mirta runs a small, family-friendly operation and all the dive masters are top-notch. The choices for food have gotten a lot better in the last couple years. Mangiamo deli for excellent sandwiches and breakfasts, Il Pomodoro for pizza, The Bite on the Beach has wonderful seafood and curries, and the little restaurant at Las Rocas makes lobster burritos my husband would kill for!

West End is lots of fun, still a laid-back hippy town (think Mexico in the 70's). But fun places to shop and great restaurants (Argentinian Grill, Dian's, funky out-over-the-water Foster's, Eagle Ray's, and our current favorite Oolongthoo-great Indian food!) If you stay in West Bay and want to hang out in West End, just remember the water taxis stop running after dark, but there's always a taxi waiting to take you back over the hill. The 20-30 min. walk between West End and West Bay is fine during the day, but I wouldn't do it at night, especially with kids. There's some rocks to scramble over in one area and a very tall bridge to cross.

We've used credit cards at most places, but they usually charge a fee. Dollars or limpira can be used everywhere. We stopped bringing travelers checks because lots of places wouldn't take them.

Hope that helps!

6. Re: Roatan- West End vs West Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 19, 2009