We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For CRMeador - Roatan

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
22 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
For CRMeador - Roatan

Hi CRMeador,

I looked in the US Dept, Lonely Planet and a couple of others. Just tap into Yahoo or Google and in the SEARCH write in SAFETY HONDURAS and up will pop plenty of sites.

After browsing through the US Dept. site I checked other places where I know what the crime situation is just to compare with what was written about Honduras. That site seemed to be right on the button.

If you check them out I'd appreciate it if you get back to me with your opinion.

Happy New Year.

PRnut

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: For CRMeador - Roatan

Nut -

Thanks for the tip. The same Google search for SAFETY PUERTO RICO turned the following at TripAdvisor:

"Odds are that you have heard that Puerto Rico has a very high crime rate and that Puerto Rico is one of the most dangerous places in the World. True? If you have heard this, let me tell you this is not the entire story and that there is sincerely nothing to be worried about."

The only thing I can say is don't overthink your trip. . . go to Roatan and have fun! And by the way, I really enjoyed my trip to Puerto Rico, its a beautiful place.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
22 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For CRMeador - Roatan

Thanks for writing back.

I, personally, don't have a problem with Roatan. But the other family is from Florida. They have family in Mexico and whenever they visit they have a bodyguard accompany them. So this is the impression they have with Central/South America.

Puerto Rico is safe, and as everyone says, you just have to use your common sense. No one should walk on beaches here at night, stay away from lonely unknown places, don't carry too much jewlery, etc.

But, the final decision isn't mine alone. Thanks for answering my questions.

Saludos,

PRnut

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: For CRMeador - Roatan

PRNut -

I too am from Florida.

There are very wealthy high visibility Hondurans who travel with personal security as well. In Roatan, which is heavily touristed, no one will know who you are or particularly care.

The same rules "use your common sense, lock your doors, use the hotel or room safe for valuables (including passports, tickets, additional credit cards), don't walk on beach at night, stay away from lonely unknown places, don't carry or flaunt too much jewlery, cash, etc." are generally sufficient for Roatan and the rest of Honduras.

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
22 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For CRMeador - Roatan

Happy New Year CRMeador,

The only thing that has our travelling partner a little worried is that we emailed the owner of the hotel about our worries. They would always answer immediately to our previous queries, but this time I have yet to hear from them. I just asked them for their opinion on what I had read.

Soooo, it's a matter of choice. Thanks anyway.

Saludos,

PRnut

5. Re: For CRMeador - Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Roatan