We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive In Honduras/Guatemala?

DC
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Self Drive In Honduras/Guatemala?

Hi, I will be traveling with 3 other adults around Christmas, and we are planning on renting a car in La Ceiba, driving to Copan, and then moving on to Antigua, Guatemala, after a few days in Copan. Does anyone have any experiences or sage advice regarding such a trip? Is it safe (we will have 2 men in the car)? Any horror stories about crossing the border with a rental car? Are we crazy? We'd much prefer to drive ourselves and do some exploring along the way, rather than being on a bus. We speak enough Spanish to get by (albeit not all that much). Thanks!! I'm also going to post in the Honduras and Guatemala forums...

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive In Honduras/Guatemala?

RedBeans,

Hey i am a US Citizen that lives in San Pedro Sula. I often have to drive to Guatemala for meetings. Crossing the border is very very easy now.... just make sure to have your passport and drivers license... you dont have to fill out any fourms...and the only charge i paid was $3.00 on my return trip to Honduras. Takes fewer than 5 minutes.

Just make sure the rental company lets you take cars out of the country... there is not many that do....

I have crossed the border many many times without any problems. I do perfer to cross the border at Corinto (Puerto Cortes) rather than at El Florido. (Copan) only because the drive is easier...

Let me know if you have any questions...

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive In Honduras/Guatemala?

Beans -

As far as I am aware there is not a rental car company around that will let you cross the border with a vehicle but if they do you still are not going to have the documentation you need to do so.

If you find out something different please let me know.

"Does anyone have any experiences or sage advice regarding such a trip?" Take the bus. Check out the Hedman Alas bus line at http://www.hedmanalas.com/index.htm They are cheap, safe and efficient.

Enjoy Honduras!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

DC
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive In Honduras/Guatemala?

Thanks everyone....I just got off of the phone with AVIS, which would allow me to book pick up in La Ceiba and drop of in Guatemala City...BUT, the rental counter at LCE said that they have stopped allowing cars to cross the border. So, I guess it is either the Hedman Alas bus, or take a private shuttle. I really don't want to be stuck on the bus and would like flexibility to stop. Any intel on getting a driver from LCE to Copan and then Copan to Antigua??

Thank you so much!!

DC
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive In Honduras/Guatemala?

I meant to say Avis would allow me to book online and through their international reservation number. I asked them to call the La Ceiba counter to see if there was a was to speed up the process of getting the border transfer paperwork (they said to allow 8 hours). When they called the La Ceiba agent said that cars were no longer allowed to cross the border.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drive In Honduras/Guatemala?

Redbeans,

When they tell you cars are not allowed to be crossed the border... please ask them alittle more specific.....

I cross the border at least 1 x month.. its not a problem. They dont even check your car paperwork. Takes 5 minutes-10 minutes for this process

The rental company is the only one that can say whether or not the car is allowed to pass the border.

I have an AVIS account here in San Pedro SUla and they have never allowed me to cross the border.... but thats their company policy...

i would suggest trying other rental car companies to see which will let you...

otherwise Hedman Alas is your best bet.......

6. Re: Self Drive In Honduras/Guatemala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 18, 2009