We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks Roatan - suggestions and information please.

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks Roatan - suggestions and information please.

Hi!

I am starting to plan a trip for 2 weeks to Roatan and was hoping for some advice and information (I think there is a CaptainVans who is from West End out here who's in the know?).

1. We're all about the local people and learning about the culture etc...we don't want a big busy place of tourists. Any recommedations? $500 US a week (not including the local tax) is about the max. we want to pay for accomodations.

I found a couple places but would like to hear your comments

- Casa Calicos

- Judy's Fantasea

- Seabreeze

- Seagrape

- Chillies

- Georgphis Tropical

- Keiftos

2. I'd like to be able to have meals at my cabin but if we want to go out to a restaurant or to a bar at night for a couple drinks we'd like to be able to walk there (as well as the beach etc.) What's a typical price range for restaurants? I understand the food is really good and varied. How much is a beer in the bar, how much is it to buy a case in the shop? Sorry, I really like to know how much stuff costs before I get there as I don't care for surprises. :-)

3. Can you comment on stores for groceries - expensive? variety?

4. Are there areas where we really shouldn't be without our own transportation such as scooters? We'd be happy to take the local bus, water taxi etc.

Thanks so much in advance! I would really appreciate anyone's feedback.

Kelly

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks Roatan - suggestions and information please.

Kelly:

We just returned from our first trip to Roatan over Thanksgiving. I can not comment on the places to stay as we did not stay at any of those. West Bay beach was very nice, and West End is like a quiet little village, not really a "town". I can help out in terms of prices of things. the best grocery store (by far) is Eldon's in French Harbour. It is quite far from the West side of the island, so it is best to stock up on everything you might need all in one trip rather than making several trips. The prices there were very reasonable...some things cheaper than home, some things slightly higher, but nothing out of the ordinary. The selection is better than I expected, but meats and cheeses are hard to find so we brought our own steaks, cheese, and lunch meat. The bread is excellent on Roatan with several varieties to choose from.

The liquor at the grocery store is inexpensive and quite a good selection as well (except not a huge choice on wines). The drink and food prices at the restaurants and bars were reasonable as well. Beers about $2 USD, mixed $3-$6, and food was anywhere from $5 - $20 depending on what you want, what meal, and what restaurant. Most lunch items are under $10, and dinner items are about $10 - $15...but you can get less expensive dinner items as well depending on where you are.

We rented a car for the week so can't help you on public transport...but the taxis are everywhere. You can not look around and not find one. Just be sure to negotiate price before taking off. We felt safe everywhere we went, and the locals are very helpful and friendly. Hope this helps. Steve

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks Roatan - suggestions and information please.

Hi Steve!

I thank you very much for your information - it's very helpful. I can't wait to go!

Thanks again!

Kelly

Alberta Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks Roatan - suggestions and information please.

Kelly

you have good advise from Tu there; we like to rent a house when we go, so I cant comment on any of the places you mention.

If you plan to walk mostly I would sick with west end. Only thing I would add is if you dont want to rent a car I would take a taxi, not rent a scooter, that would be dangerous. I Love this Island but the drivers are very fast and few traffic rules are follwed. Do take in other parts of the Ilsand and enjoy

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks Roatan - suggestions and information please.

Thank you theefarmerswife!

All information is welcome! I hesitated about the scooters as I've been to Colombia and Nicaragua and the traffic is just too crazy for my liking. I'd prefer to walk or taxi.

Have a great day!

5. Re: 2 weeks Roatan - suggestions and information please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:02 am, June 02, 2007
6. Re: 2 weeks Roatan - suggestions and information please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:28 am, August 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Roatan