We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Sharks

ohio
Level Contributor
176 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Sharks

Are there whale sharks in these waters all year or just at certain times? Will be doing some diving and would love to see one or snorkel with one. Had that experience last year in the Sea of Cortez and it was amazing!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Sharks

they are around the neighboring island of utila year round. however they are mostly seen march-may, september and january. and yesterday, we saw them on utila' north side yesterday :)

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Sharks

they do get seen around roatan occasionally but not as often as around utila

ohio
Level Contributor
176 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Sharks

Well, I guess I can only hope that there is a rare sighting!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Sharks

There was a sighting in Sandy Bay about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Locals say there are more around Roatan than in previous times. One common theory is that some folks around Utila are using sonar to find them... and the increased pressure on the sharks may be driving some of them to seek less aggravating places.

judie - I think your best bet is to let some of the beach people know you are interested and let them know how to contact you. Last year one was spotted in West Bay. Folks lucky enough to be there jumped in boats with their snorkel gear and got a nice visit... other folks heard about it the next day. I don't know of anybody actually going out looking for them in the waters around Roatan.

Also, be prepared for challenges. As I understand it, the whale sharks are gentle giants, swimming along eating plankton and krill and small fish and such. Tuna follow along eating similar items. Dolphins are smart and know that where the whale shark is, there are probably tuna. And other sharks know that tuna and dolphins are delicious. I've heard two different stories of folks in the last two years jumping in to snorkel and watch the surprise whale sharks off Roatan only to find way way too many white tip sharks around... intimidating enough to get the snorkelers back into the safety of the boat.

I wasn't there... don't shoot the messenger... I know these are fish stories... but they came from experienced diver/snorkelers...

ohio
Level Contributor
176 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Sharks

Thanks '"Idiots". I think I will give up on that idea. If it happens, it happens. Just a thought.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Sharks

no one on utila is using sonar to find whale sharks (thats a fish tale). i have jumped into the water with whale sharks around utila perhaps 300-400 times in the last 9 years. never seen a blacktip shark with them, seen tons of tuna and silver sides, an occasional mobula ray a couple of reef sharks and a hammerhead once, none of which are in the slightest bit interested in people (except to stay away from them).

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Sharks

I asked my local source about this, divenuts... he said he was repeating what he'd heard from more than one tourist on Roatan about using sonar. Any chance the boats taking people over to Utila from Roatan on day trips seeking the whale sharks are using sonar? Of course, lots of stories on the islands... and some of them are even true!

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
543 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Sharks

It's hit or miss, and encounters are usually brief, but awesome. In July we got lucky and our captain slipped us in with Whale Sharks 10 times. Later, he dropped us on Spinner Dolphins. This was near Sandy Bay with AKR.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Sharks

wow, Eric... with luck like that I might reconsider my ban on buying lottery tickets!

10. Re: Whale Sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 09, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Roatan