We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Retire in Roatan Questions?

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
To Retire in Roatan Questions?

This question is for Murray or anyone living in Roatan,

I am thinking of retiring in a tropical settings and trying to decide. It would be too expensive trying to travel everywhere, so I would like to ask some honest advise from locals.

I like to be around friendly and warm people, is most locals warm and friendly and make you feel welcome and at home?

I also like to learn new things. Like in the US i take classes on different interest, is there such things there? Like learning to paint or whatever?

I enjoy restaurants, how expensive is eating out? Average prices for dinner?

How about weekly groceries?

I also would like to own my own home, preferably with a view of the ocean looking down from a smaller hill, a nice smaller home with 3 bedroom 2 bath 1600 sq ft. what would that cost to buy?

or buy land and have it built? but very close to the city where there is life. So how much would this cost in Roatan?

How is the medical provision? Expensive? or is there insurance one can buy and if so how much?

Or if one wants to rent like a 2 bedroom apartment, nice one, in nice area, what would that cost?

Is there a Chamber of Commerce one can contact? or Tourist office? Do you have contact email, web site or phone #?

Also, how is the weather year around?

Is there hurrcaines?

What can one do about those sand flies so they don't eat you alive?

I hope you can answer all my questions, I would realy, really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Petey

piroskakirika@yahoo.com

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To Retire in Roatan Questions?

Petey -

While you are awaiting answers to your vearious questions regarding cost of living and other Roatan details which I cannot supply you may consider the technical aspects of retiring in Honduras.

You will find some good front end residency requirement information at the Honduras Legal Services web site at http://www.honduranlaw.com/

Good luck!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Retire in Roatan Questions?

Petey, based on my interpretation of your post, I'd say Roatan is not for you.

Alberta Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Retire in Roatan Questions?

got,

Roatan is great when you say you want to be close to the city, do you know how small Roatan is? I hope your not expecting wal-mart and mcdonalds etc.

An excellent resource would be scott mcdonald at www.roatandreams.com hes a very good real estate agent and he is also from colordo (if memory serves) froward these questions to him

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To Retire in Roatan Questions?

From what you sound like you are looking for , do some research on the Isle of Margarita Venezuela.

5. Re: To Retire in Roatan Questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 25, 2009