We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

minibus and taxis in roatan

North Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
minibus and taxis in roatan

My husband and I are planning on staying at the Fantasy Island Resort in Feb. 2007.

I was wondering how far from the main road is the resort island and is it possible to walk to the main road to hail the local minibus to ride into Coxen Hole?

Also, what price should we expect to pay or bargain for with a taxi from/to Fantasy Island to Coxen Hole, West End or Sandy Bay.

How much for a taxi from the airport to Coxen Hole, West End, Sandy Bay and the Fantasy Island?

thanks,

Karen

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: minibus and taxis in roatan

You can walk from the Fantasy Island to the main road.. like 5 minute walk or so.

I cant remember how much we paid for the taxi... but we got ripped off taking the taxi from the airport to West Bay... i think we paid like $40. ($20 each)........

after that its just best to bargain with the taxi guys....we paid one taxi guy a flat fee to take us to different spots...

if you have the patience the minibus are cheap... but do stop along the way.. we took a few times...

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: minibus and taxis in roatan

There is no local mini bus that will take you to Coxen Hole or West End...

You would have to get a bus to French Harbour, and then get another one to the above destinations...

It is not a typical bus, and most likely BARELY road-worthy, and will be full of the local flavour.

Taxis are expensive to come all the way from Fantasy Island. Do yourself a favour, and ask the front desk at your resort to get a more firm idea of what you should pay.

In addition, Fantasy Island has shuttle busses that come to West End a couple times a week for shopping etc....Get their schedule from the hotel mgmt.

Murray Russ

3. Re: minibus and taxis in roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 19, 2009