We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car on Roatan

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Renting a car on Roatan

My wife and I, and my inlaws will be on island over Thanksgiving week and are staying at Casa Carnival on West Bay beach. I know the water taxis run during the day and land taxis after dark. We are thinking of renting a car the cruise ship day and are wanting any advice on that (i.e. how much for a day, is it worth it, where to rent etc). I know there are guided tours, but we do not want to be rushed as we want to hit the canopy tour, iguana farm, the jam & jelly place up by Oak Ridge, French Harbour etc. Any advice is appreciated. Steve

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car on Roatan

If you are looking for a car to rent, I will only offer this....

Please stick with the rental agencies that are Internationally known.

(Avis, Budget, Toyota, Alamo/Enterprise)....

PLUS, the advantage is that you can reserve ONLINE!.

Other companies "may" be a little cheaper, but those are the vehicles often parked on the side of the road, waiting for help....

Good Luck.

Murray Russ

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car on Roatan

Murray: Are all of the main players (i.e. Avis, Budget, etc) located at the airport or are there any in West End/Bay? Our plan is to only rent a car for maybe 2 days and cab it the rest of the time. We would use your services but my inlaws are not the scooter type unfortunately. Thanks so much for the advice. Steve

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car on Roatan

Steve....

the major players are either at the airport OR on the main road going through Coxen Hole (2 minutes from the airport).

None of the main players are located in West End or West Bay.

I use Toyota Rent a Car when I need a vehicle...but Alamo/Enterprise also has newer vehicles.

Alamo is in Coxen Hole, and Toyota across from the airport.

Murray Russ

Captain Van's Rentals.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car on Roatan

Cheers, thanks Murray.....hope to see you over Thanksgiving. I checked with Avis and they were $220 for the whole week, and given the fact that we were already going to spend $35 each way to and from the airport and $50 for a ride to Oak Ridge one day....we might as well spend the extral $100 to have a car at our disposal the whole week. I want to see as much of Roatan as possible while I am there. I will definitley recommend your business when possible. Steve

Orchard Lake...
Level Contributor
51 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car on Roatan

tuacamo,

That sounds like a good plan, speaking as someone who wished they had done it. You will also avoid having to pay for overpriced taxis every time you want to go to a restaurant for dinner.

Vermont, USA
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car on Roatan

Here's my 2 cents: Roatan is NOT a very interesting island. There really isn't much to see. I traveled to Roatan and then to the mainland, and found it MUCH more interesting on the mainland with lots of local culture of great interest. But Roatan is not that. I rented a car in Roatan and found that the so-called tourist hot spots are dingy little settlements. Coxen Hole is interesting for an hour or so, to soak up a little local color, but Roatan is really for one thing only: diving. Even the snorkelling isn't great, though the West Bay beach is lovely. Yes, the taxis are over priced, though the collective taxis are not, and they run very regularly. Think about NOT renting a car and staying put in your resort, or wandering around West End for fun. If you want local color, take the ferry or a quick flight to La Ceiba for the day and wander THOSE streets. You'll find it much more interesting and enjoyable.

Male
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car on Roatan

I am not sure that it is fair to compare a small island to the mainland Central America, but if you are here and have a chance to get out of the West Bay/West End area you should do that. A short day trip across the island will give you a good idea of where you really came to visit. If you want to go to the mainland for a day you may see some herb carts on the streets and can go to the mall and eat at Wendy's I suppose.

Dont be afraid to venture out....Roatan is a beautiful island.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car on Roatan

Just returned from Roatan and I would have regretted not renting a car. Seeing French Harbour, Oak Ridge, Punta Gorda etc was very much a highlight of my trip. I think it well worth the money, and saves a ton on taxis as well. When we were there over Thanksgiving the sea was rough on the west and north sides of the island so water taxis weren't even running between West Bay and West End. We probably made 10 trips back and forth to West End and other locations so the cost of the rental car was much cheaper than a taxi for each excursion. Roatan is what you make it, so certain people may see a "dingy little settlement" and some may see a sleepy little fishing village with loads of character and history.

Male
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car on Roatan

thank you for not taking the "stay put in your resort" mentality. The island has a lot to offer. Yes, the weather was about as bad as it gets here that week, barring a hurricane or tropical storm, so I am sure you got your money's worth out of your rental.

come back again....

Kansas City
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car on Roatan

jrjlk: We will certainly be back....maybe in May or June next year when it is a little calmer. They said Thanksgiving week was quiet and they were not kidding. I have never been the "stay in your resort" type, and frankly, if someone is like that then it is not only there loss, but most likely they are doing the locals a favor. We stayed at a house on West Bay and it was beautiful despite the weather. I just wish that more of the hard core divers ventured out of their resorts to spike the island economy as a hole, not just for the resort....but that is a debate for another day I suppose. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan on making it a regular destination.