We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI resort--Anthony Key's

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
AI resort--Anthony Key's

hi everyone:

Just received a booklet from Anthony Key's owners.

It looks amazing and prices are more than fair.

Dive/snorkel packages include the European Plan (3 meals a day), 7 nights accommodations, rooms with private washrooms, 2 double beds, maid service daily, 2 shore dives per day or snorkelling with knowledgable captain/staff, fish picture cards, welcome cocktails and get together, picnic beach lunch, fiesta night, BBQ night.

All for approx. $1200 CAN depending on your room choice.

check out their website for additional info.

Taly

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI resort--Anthony Key's

Taly....as a CDN who lives on and owns a business on Roatan, I will just say that AKR is an excellent resort, especially for those who dive. They are really A-one.

While their over-the-water cabins may not be 5 star (nothing is yet on Roatan), they are the best way to experience living so close to the water.

If you are coming from TO, checkout the air/flight only deals from Toronto direct to Roatan on nolitours.com and conquestvacations.com, starting in NOV...

You'll save a bunch.

Enjoy Roatan.

Murray Russ

Captain Van's Rentals

Roatan

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI resort--Anthony Key's

CaptainVans:

Thanks for your info.

Yes we'd be flying out of Toronto, someone told us there is no direct flight to Roatan though. Is this true??

I am excited about visiting this island, the only thing that seems to keep popping up and is bothering my husband is the mosquito, sandfleas, and no-see-ums. Both my husband and son get eaten alive when we're in cottage country here in ONtario so they are worried about Roatan.

How bad is it really ?? Would it be as bad as any other destination or worse ?? We have been to Jamaica and DR recently and the mosquitos never bothered any of us. Been to Venezuela on jungle tours and again they didn't seem to bother any of us. But this thread makes the mosquitos and other biting bugs seem as a big issue on this island.

Your opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Taly

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI resort--Anthony Key's

Taly....as I said in my previous post, YES they are direct flights from Toronto starting in Nov and ending spring '07. They are charter flights from the 2 companies I mentioned (with Skyservice and WestJet do the flying portion) , so they cannot be booked through your typical reservation system. I gave you the websites, but you can just give the names to your travel agent, and they can take care of it for you, if you are not booking your own trip. Just ask for the AIR ONLY prices, as their room packages do not include AKR.

The only disadvantage is that you must stay for 7or 14 days; there is no flexibility. ...but again, it will save you from having to land in any USA airports, therefore saving you hours in your travel day.

In regards to bug bites, all I can tell you is that if you wear Deet , both in the morning and at dusk, you shouldn't have a problem. The sand fleas are only bad when one is on the beach early in the morning, or late in the afternoon. Mosquitoes can be bad in the shade and in the evenings. People who get bit, are typically those who refuse to apply repellant....

As a sidenote, most, if not all the resorts spray the bad areas for bugs.. Most use compounds with no herbicide....

In regards to comparing it to other countries....the usual rule applies. The more the population in an area, then usually the less bugs. Jungle areas would be the worst, and any shaded, sandy remote beach spot.

Like I said...apply Deet, and you'll be fine.

You may never see a bug while you are here, especially if it hasn't rained for 2 weeks.

Heck, if you've been to Ontario cottage country, then you've seen bugs...way more than Roatan.

There...I've painted the worse case scenario...and I will finish by saying that of my own personal guests that came to stay with me this year, only ONE out of thirteen got bit the first day of their trip...and again it's because she thought she was immune to bugs....yeah right. Anyhow, she has already booked her return trip for 2007...so it didn't turn her off!

Thanks,

Murray Russ

Captain Van's Rentals.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI resort--Anthony Key's

CaptainVans:

Thanks for all your help and for taking the time to answer my questions.

Looks like a trip to Roatan will be in the makings for our family for fall next year (Oct area).

Thanks again,

Taly

La Ceiba, Honduras
Level Contributor
557 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: AI resort--Anthony Key's

Taly -

If you miss the November/April window for the direct charters there are weekly non-stop commercial flights out of Miami on Sunday to Roatan on TACA.com, out of Atlanta on Saturdays via Delta Airlines and out of Houston via Continental Airlines.

Have fun!

Charlie Meador, Coco Pando, La Ceiba, Honduras

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI resort--Anthony Key's

Thanks everyone for your kind help.

Taly

7. Re: AI resort--Anthony Key's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 12, 2009