We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manning, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

After the news of the recent murder of the innocent NCL crew member I have strong reservations about visiting Roatan next month via the RCI Vision of the Seas. Unfortunately it's too late to get my money back.

So, my question is this… Do my wife and I stay on board the ship? I was planning on doing an excursion to West Bay or LFK.

Are excursions safer if done directly through the cruise line?

I don't want to be walking through Coxen Hole looking for the private transport to LFK or West Bay and get heckled/robbed/shot along the way.

My thoughts are with the family of the innocent crew member.

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

I would not be too worried to do an excursion to west bay or little French key as you suggested, now having said that a lot can change in a months time,, the boat could be diverted for that stop you have no control of that either , actually I would say you are safer to go to west bay or little French key versus walk the streets of coxen hole....... and Im sure it can be arranged with reliable companies ahead of time either with the cruise boat or through website ............. on island right now there is many actions that are being discussed to ramp up the security to aid in the safety of all tourists whether you come by boat for an hour or two or by air for weeks at a time...don't miss out on the good of roatan but please be carefull at EVERY stop on your cruise !! I do hope you enjoy roatan west bay is beautiful and having visited little French key it truly is some thing not to be missed....

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

If you go with a tour company or the ships excursion you will be collected very close to the gate. As said above, I bet the security is going to be higher due to this horrible incident.

This crime like so many on the island are that of opportunity. It was not planned, the bad guy saw something he wanted and took it. If you are not actively showing anything of value... you will not be a target.

3. Re: Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:26 am, April 10, 2014
I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

I agree they all know you are coming with a wallet but for some reason the only targets I have ever heard of are for electronics.

Mahogany Bay's gate is a bit farther away from the ship than the one in Coxen Hole. It may be the transport for excursions through the cruise line are closer to the ship. Ya might ask the folks are Cruise Critic if the ship excursions transport is closer.

Edited: 3:53 pm, April 08, 2014
5. Re: Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, April 09, 2014
Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

Just stay in Mahogany Bay if you are feeling unsecure. From what I've read it's a lovely little bay and has everything you need.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

My daughter lives on Roatan, far from the cruise ship terminal. Don't go with a tour! Go on your own! It's no more dangerous than going to Hawaii. Just use common sense and don't flaunt your wealth (cell phones, jewelry, thick wallets, etc.) Vacationers have a tendency to leave their "safety rules when out in public" at home. To be afraid of traveling to Roatan is like saying America is dangerous, especially Chicago and Detroit, so don't go to Maui!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,083 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

I feel so sorry about all of this. Sorry for the poor man and his family. I can't begin to imagine their pain. And I also feel sorry for you, for the discomfort and uncertainty this is causing you. You want and deserve to feel safe, to not even be concerned about having anything mar your holiday. I can only try to reassure you that, over the many years I have been visiting Roatan, I have never felt in danger and have never had an unpleasant encounter with the residents, both the native Roataners and the immigrants from the mainland. It is a poor but beautiful island, and the residents know the value of tourism. But since it is a small island, every time there is a crime, it makes the headlines. I read last night that the police know who they are looking for. There are few ways off the small island, so I expect that justice will prevail.

I spend no time in the Coxen Hole area. There's nothing there that interests me. At the western end of the island, where most of the visitors go, there is a large police presence. From their cars and their uniforms, they look well funded and professional. I've never seen any police action, as I see around my home probably daily. Perhaps they should be a greater presence in Coxen Hole when the ships are in port. That would go a long way in helping cruisers deal with this murder, and offering some reassurances.

Everyone is suggesting putting this crime in perspective, that it happens everywhere. Indeed it does. Honduras is attempting to limit the importation of guns into the country. It has recently prohibited Sunday evening purchases of alcohol. Minor action, to be sure, but at least they are responding. Now if they could just send more of those fancy new police cruisers to Coxen Hole.

When I hear about random crime like this, I am reminded of why my wife and I moved out after years of living in Oakland CA. We had not experienced much in the way of crime, though the other parts of the city kept the police busy. Then one afternoon a teenager in our neighborhood picked up a gun and shot at a toddler a few houses away. Luckily he missed. But then we tried to get the police to respond to the "incident". 3 days later they dropped by to get a report. 911 said they don't respond unless it is an on-going shooting. Sure made us feel safe. I'll take Roatan any day.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

You don`t need to walk through Coxen Hole to get an excursion...there will be plenty of cabs waiting close to where you get off the boat...I would feel totally safe just grabbing a cab to West Bay and then getting a cab from West Bay back to the boat.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Crew Member Murder- Will Visit in one Month-SAFETY?

West Bay is considered to be a safe, nice area. Coxen Hole is not so nice.

Roatan an island of less than 90,000 people so everyone hears everything that goes on. The whole community has banded together on the situation, as what happened was a terrible tragedy and thousands of jobs are at stake if the cruise ships pull out. Putting a group of people who have very little in close contact with people that seem to have a lot is always very risky, but it would be unfair to label the entire Roatan island as an unsafe place because the majority of people are kind, hard working people who just want to make a better life for themselves. Many tourists leave their common sense and vigilance at home. Tourists are seen walking around all the time in impoverished areas with cameras around their necks and flashing money. This is not to justify what happened, but people need to remember that the rules of home still apply to the rules while on vacation, and also that a phone or a wallet is not worth losing your life over. Those who live in Roatan want to make it a safe place for everyone, and this will hopefully put pressure on the government to do something about it, but to argue that Roatan is less safe than a city in the States isn't right either. There are many people, both expat and local, who survive on tourism and who just want the island, and all of its occupants, to thrive.

It's a terribly vicious cycle. Crime causes the cruise ships to pull out, people lose their jobs and livelihood, therefore crime increases, causing more cruise ships to pull out. It's a shame that the island and all the good, hardworking people have to suffer because of the actions of a few. None of those who make their living in tourism want this incident to become the island's claim to fame.