We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Semana Santa 2015

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Semana Santa 2015

I am considering renting a condo from March 23rd - 30th, 2015 in West Bay...Easter Sunday is on April 5th next year. My understanding of Semana Santa is that it is a week long celebration...so does that means people would start pouring in the week before...lets say on the Friday or Saturday...i.e. March 27th onward. I don't want to be involved with crowds on the beach. This condo is already rented right up until the 22nd...so I am figuring people want to avoid the crowds and that is why the week starting the 23rd is available? Thanks for any info!!!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Semana Santa 2015

March 23-30 is already high season. But you will see a huge influx from people arriving on the ferry that Friday and especially Saturday. There is very limited air capacity from the Honduras mainland. Families are probably returning to the resorts they have gone to for years. The condo resort you are considering will be impacted, but perhaps not that individual unit, which is why it is currently available. If you go, you will be in for a party.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Semana Santa 2015

Thanks Dhauk.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Semana Santa 2015

I have only been in the island once over Easter... I hold up in a house on the hill in Sandy Bay with an amazing view of the sea. That was the year I was stopped by the cops, had my pass port held for ransom til I figured out they wanted a bribe. I was later told they were collecting for Semana Santa. I love that quirky island!

I have hear tales of one not being able to see the sand on West Bay Beach for all the people.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Semana Santa 2015

Won't be here for SS this year... but last year we spent the week pretty much at our cabana in Sandy Bay... hardly knew it was SS except for higher occupancy of the units around us and a few more people on our dock. Did see families taking a time out at 3 PM on Good Friday for prayer services at the end of two of the local piers... maybe 15 minutes, then back to family fun. A few folks seemed dressed up for church on Sunday morning, but by noon the place was quiet as a tomb...

So West Bay is likely to be zoo-like... Sandy Bay doesn't change much...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Semana Santa 2015

I work for a school division that does not have a Spring Break but instead has a 10 day Easter Break - some years it begins with Good Friday and some years it ends with Good Friday. The first time we went to Roatan we arrived on Good Friday evening and it was a zoo! We had thought we had made a huge error and couldn't imagine spending our 10 days in such a busy atmosphere. By Easter Sunday it had calmed down considerably and the rest of the week was ideal. So now when our break begins on Good Friday we go to Roatan - no problem and when it ends with Good Friday we go elsewhere and use our February reading week to go to Roatan instead. Some folk really like the "celebration" atmosphere - lots of parties and music, but for us we are looking for a relaxing week away from Canadian winter.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Semana Santa 2015

The good deal condo I was looking at just got rented for that week...so I now have no decision to make for the 23rd to 30th...it`s all working out! We will avoid that week and go the week before perhaps.

OAKVILLE
Level Contributor
102 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Semana Santa 2015

We were at West Bay last year over Semana Santa, will NEVER go at that time of year again. It's crazy busy, loud, and crowded, and celebrating Easter that way is not my thing. Some of the hotels set up HUGE speakers facing out onto the beach to blare their music....geezus....

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
282 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Semana Santa 2015

How dare those native Hondurans take a 4 day holiday & spend 3 of those days vacationing on the beach in their own country with their family & friends !!! . . . and golly gee, even having fun too, doing things like eating, playing music, dancing, singing, swimming, snorkeling, & the kids playing everywhere . . . The nerve of them!

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Semana Santa 2015

We stayed at a condo in West End last year during the SS celebrations. Quite honestly after reading posts on TA prior to going, I was under the impression we would end up hiding in the condo for the few days it was taking place.

Not the case at all.. Sure there were lots of people(not as many as I expected) but they just having fun and playing music and dancing. The kids were loving the anchored sailboat at HMB.

We didn't go out late at night but then we didn't the whole month we were there anyway.

We had no issues. . We still snorkelled and did our usual stuff during the day.

West Bay must be totally different.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Semana Santa 2015

I don't think anyone said the Honduran's shouldn't take a holiday or use their lovely beaches. What people did say is it is a LOT busier - and to be prepared for that or choose another time to visit.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan