We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines - Layover in Houston

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Creston, B.C.
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
United Airlines - Layover in Houston

Does anyone know if we collect our baggage in Houston on the layover or if it's checked through to Roatan? I've received conflicting information from a phone call to United and their website. Thanks for the info.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines - Layover in Houston

When we flew via Houston our luggage was checked right through to Roatan. We went through US immigration and customs in Toronto so it would depend on where you go through US customs (point of entry). When you check in ask the agent about your luggage and look at your boarding passes, they should have "In Transit" stamped on them.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,837 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines - Layover in Houston

We generally fly carryon only but the times we've flown with fishing equipment and had to check a bag, it was checked clear through on the way down, but we had to collect it in order to go through US customs on the return flight, then rechecked it before heading to the gate.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines - Layover in Houston

When flying from Vancouver via Houston using United Airlines it will get checked right through to Roatan, unless they changed something since last year, but I doubt it.

The check-in person will be able to tell you for sure.

Have a fun trip!

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
729 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines - Layover in Houston

How long is your layover?

Creston, B.C.
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines - Layover in Houston

We live close to the U.S. Border so we'll drive to Spokane, fly to Denver then Houston. We arrive in Houston around 11::00 p.m. and then fly out to Roatan the following day at 10:30 a.m. Six weeks today!!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines - Layover in Houston

Then you will go through US immigration and customs at the border. Your luggage should be checked through to Roatan since your layover is less than 12 hours. You won't know for sure until you ask the check in agent and see how he/she tags your luggage. Yes I have found also that the answer you get for certain questions depends on who you get on the phone...

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
646 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines - Layover in Houston

Look at the tags, they must show RTB as final destination.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines - Layover in Houston

FYI......

The US has a "next day" rule in which transfers which take place after midnight fall into the "next day" and luggage will not be sent directly onto the final destination, if you are on an international flight. Baggage need to be collected, go through customs, then rechecked when you check in again in the morning.

The direct flight from Japan arrives at 12:30 pm which is 2 hours after the flight to Roatan has departed, so I always have a 22 hour layover. As the next flight leaves the next day, I have to retrieve it and take it wherever I go.

It works the same way when going through LA, transiting through San Salvador. The TACA flight leaves at 12:30 am -- which means it's the next day. I've been told that it's a TSA rule.

California
Level Contributor
184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines - Layover in Houston

Last time I flew United, they told me if my connection was more than 6 hours, I had to collect my bag and then recheck it. Sucks.

Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines - Layover in Houston

What do most people do on those long layovers?

We are looking at an 17 to 20 hour layover depending on which flight we take. Arriving from Calgary between 1 - 5 pm and not leaving till after noon the next day. Which really sucks!

Is there an hotel close that is cheap or do you stay in the airport? I've never had a layover that is longer than 5 hours in Huston. I don't know the area at all.