We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Local Food

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best Local Food

I was told to eat where the taxi drivers eat for the best local food. Any thoughts on this from anyone? How do you find the best local food not just the beach restaurants. and is there anything to watch out for other than water?

Thanks

Seattle...
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Local Food

Creteman, I recommend Ronny's Barefoot Bar and Grill, it's just outside of West End (assuming that's where you are going). That's the only place we ate at twice, they have AMAZING BBQ for an awesome price!!! Have fun!!!

Mentioned in this post
West End
West End
Roatan, Honduras
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Local Food

LOL, Amazing BBQ Maybe, Local, well I guess it is cooked on Roatan so it's local in that respect. Some very good local food can be had at Haydees in Gravel Bay, and Comedor Ricks in Sandy Bay, El

Marañón near the airport, are just a few places with local. Make sure you realize however local food is not what Roatan is known for. Fish makes up only a small percentage as the dive industry has made fishing locally a difficult thing for most, A large percentage of local meals are rice beans and plantains with some type of protein usually slow cooked with plenty of Adobo seasoning. For breakfast find someone near where your staying who makes Ballaedas, Not the 5 dollar a piece West Bay jobs, the 12 Lempira refried beans and queso duro ones but make sure the tortillas are being made fresh , its the only way to go. Most locals will add egg and or avocado for a few lempiras more.

Mentioned in this post
Sandy Bay
Sandy Bay
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Local Food

Thanks, I will definitely take your advice on breakfast......and I love Adobo seasoning!

4. Re: Best Local Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 02, 2015