We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Roatan

Vivian, Louisiana
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flying to Roatan

We are flying to Roatan in September. I have heard from some people that flying directly into Roatan and avoiding connecting flights in the mainland is the best option, but this limits days we can travel. Anyone able to offer perspective on flying directly into Roatan vs. a connection on the mainland would be greatly appreciated!

Atlanta, Georgia
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Roatan

Only direct flights from the US are Houston, Atlanta & Miami.

Vivian, Louisiana
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Roatan

Thanks! I wasn't aware of the Atlanta option. Have you ever used a connecting flight in Honduras?

carp, on
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Roatan

If you're flying out of New Orleans than you can get a daily flight into San Pedro Sula that arrives around noon. There are a number of airlines that fly from there to Roatan in the afternoon. Airport at SAP has an eating area lower level. Thru customs,check in for Roatan flight, grab lunch & back upstairs thru security. Leave yourself 2 hours between flights. You can use the Kayak or Tripadvisor multi city option if you want to fly direct out of Roatan back to New Orleans on a Saturday.

las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Roatan

We are planning on coming to Roatan next year. Since we live in Vegas, we will probably fly into Houston on a late afternoon flight, spend the night (and rest up), then fly directly into Roatan the next day.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Roatan

My friend flew into Teg. in Honduras with a scheduled time of 45 minutes in between her arrival there and the departing flight to Roatan. It just wasn't enough time to clear customs and immigration, plus, her flight was a bit delayed from Atlanta. She missed her connecting flight and then couldn't find anyone who spoke English to help her. It took her about 45 minutes to find someone, and then she found out that there were no more flights going out that day OR the next day at all (Tuesday). She booked a flight with a separate airline (Sosas) who was going over later in the afternoon, so she did end up getting there which was good.

If you are going to have a connecting flight, I would recommend at least 2 hours connection time (that's what the attendant at the Roatan airport told us). In my opinion, it seems a lot easier to just have a flight directly into Roatan.

Vivian, Louisiana
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Roatan

Jen O, Thanks for the response. I was worried about that very issue. We will be flying directly from Houston into Roatan!

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
199 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Roatan

Jen - I agree with the direct into RTB. We normally like flying on Tues and Wednesday, but due to the same issue as you, we are going in August from Saturday to Saturday. The connecting flight seems to take up way too much of my vacation time!

Also from reading others comments, the airport can get backed up - as far as security, customs etc. Therefore we are flying through Atlanta, with an arrival of around 11 am and a departure of around 12:30 pm the following Saturday - hopefully avoiding when the "majority" of the planes arrive/depart.

Have fun!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Roatan

Kathy, "the majority" of planes into and out of RTB, with the exception of local small planes, are the Delta flights, One or two depending on time of year and the United flights and guess what, they are all scheduled in close proximity to one another. Often the airport is full of people from early and later flights from both airlines

Edited: 1:25 pm, July 16, 2013
ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Roatan

not sure the usa route how available or timing ,, but ,,, tropic air does a direct flight from belize city to roatan couple times a week !! they have a nice laid out web site and are very quick to respond with email answers to my questions might be an alternative if you can get to belize easily just a thought !!!!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Roatan

When we arrived to Roatan (from Houston on United), we had no problems with crowds after customs - our rental car guy was waiting for us with a sign, and off we went in our rental car. We arrived at about 1:30pm - it seems like most of the outgoing flights for that day had already left or were in the departure lounge by that point.

He told us when we were leaving to come about 2 hours before our scheduled flight time, which was set to depart at 1:30. He then said if we could manage to come a bit earlier, to do it, because the hotels and resorts bring people at around 10:30. He was right. We got to the airport at around 10am, went to the bank where there was no line to pay our departure tax, and then went to check in. The Delta line was rather long because they were the first flight going out, leaving at 12:30. I waited in the United line for about 30 minutes, as no one was working yet. By the time they started checking people in, at around 10:30, the line behind me was super long. I noticed that resorts brought people's luggage to the airport before they got there - so they would come in in packs, grab their luggage, and get in line.

Either way, we knew we were going to wait but we liked the fact that we were checked in at a decent time and could just relax before departure.

But KanM is right, it seems like the flights are coming and going around the same time. Before we left I did research about all of this right here on trip advisor and the best advice I read was to just come to the airport with some patience. I expected a lot of people and I expected to wait and it all turned out ok!