We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to avoid cruise ship madness

NM
Level Contributor
65 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
trying to avoid cruise ship madness

I'm looking to go to a few places to go snorkeling with my two children (11 and 15) on the cruise ship days, so that we can avoid the cruise ship madness. looking for easy get-aways, either swim in from shore or quick boat ride out. how easy is this to arrange? if this is not possible I think we will be vacationing elsewhere, as it sounds absolutely dreadful to be there on cruse ship days. any comments with regards to this are welcome!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,003 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to avoid cruise ship madness

Posting my response to this same question posed on a different thread for future reference:

Maybe get an early start hiking in the Carambola Reserve? Don't know how often cruisers head that way but it would be easy to get up there before they hit the trail.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to avoid cruise ship madness

In our 13 days that we'll be on the island, there are 2 cruise ship days. For one of the days, we hope to take a boat out to Pigeon Cay - about an hour's ride out. Check the thread on this page for info I've been collecting about it). I think that any place you can swim from the shore will be crowded with cruise ship passengers. On our other cruise ship day, we'll be hanging at our house and using the pool!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trying to avoid cruise ship madness

"as it sounds absolutely dreadful to be there on cruse ship days."

I don't want to leave this standing without a comment.

This is a massive over-reaction. It is true that I try to avoid one half of West Bay Beach from 10:00 - 2:00 on the heaviest cruise ship days. While we are there in Feb-early April there are days with 2 and 3 ships. Even on those days all one really notices is a mid-day increase in traffic and a large group of people on the west end of WBB and a few tourist spots fill up - like some of the ziplines and underwater museum and such.

We go for weeks without noticing there are cruise ships. We snorkel daily on some of the finest reef in the world - from shore, no boats, no fuss. We have lovely weather, beautiful sunsets, cheap Flor de Cana...

as much as I detest crowds... not likely to become a cruise shipper or all-inclusive resort goer... and as much long-term concern I have for the health of Roatan and the reef with the onslaught of inexperienced travelers doing damage... still, it is easy to overweight the effect on one's vacation by the cruise ships.

It is relatively easy to avoid most of their impact... and I always encourage identifying one day to stay and watch, observing like you are an anthropologist with Margaret Mead in a Samoan village... or like a birder, taking photos and notes... much to learn from observing the Grumpy Sun-burned Boobey bird...

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,753 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
NM
Level Contributor
65 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trying to avoid cruise ship madness

This is the sort of information I am after---how bad is it? During the week we are looking into fully 3 of 7 days are "cruise days," and I am trying to get a sense of what it is like, to snorkel on those days? Can you avoid the cruisers? And much as I can see the potential interest of spending a day watching the "fun,", I'd really rather not.......though I catch your drift.

So that is what I am wrestling with: can you completely avoid this scene?

Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trying to avoid cruise ship madness

There are several tour operators that provide will provide your family a day of snorkeling away from the cruise ship crowd, as long as you book early enough before the cruisers get to them first. I am a tour operator on the island and would be happy to help you set something up. Just send me a message or email me at info@roatanjmjtours.com if you would like some assistance.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: trying to avoid cruise ship madness

Where are you looking to stay? If your staying on West Bay then yes, you will notice cruise crowds but there are day trips you can do to get away from them if you really found it unbearable though this is unlikely, From what I have seen, the vast majority of cruise shippers are not high energy or adventure, if they pay for a resort with chair and cocktail on West Bay, they generally stay put till its time to go back to the ship, West Bay Beach is not huge but when the majority of cruisers are packed into a few resorts catering to them, there is plenty of room to be found elsewhere on the same beach, Now if your staying at a resort that caters to cruisers and offers them day passes, ignore my post and do as you mentioned and look elsewhere

Mentioned in this post
West Bay
West Bay
Roatan, Honduras
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,753 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
7. Re: trying to avoid cruise ship madness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 19, 2014