We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
397 reviews
Save Topic
Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

I have read the threads on diving and most of them are older. What Dive shop would anyone suggest for beginners who just received there cards a few months ago? We are looking forward to diving and seeing some amazing things but don't want the deep dives. Thanks in advance.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
459 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

There is a dive shop right at IB...and they were doing some dive classes, so I am sure they do beginner dives.

willington,ct
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

I have been diving with West Bay Divers and they are great. I see dive boats with 14 plus divers and laugh.In april I was the only diver so me and the dive master.The next day 3 of us and last 5. Small groups and they pay close attention to you.

JOE

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

I'm not familiar with the WB shops, but here's a suggestion. Shops will of course tell you where they intend to dive and at what depth. Typically the deep dive of the day is the first of the morning, maybe to 120 feet briefly if there is something to see there, like Hole in the Wall or the Aguila wreck. After the first dive any subsequent dives are more shallow, maybe 60 feet or 70 max. again depending on what there is to see there. And afternoon dives, often the third dive of the day for some dive masters, are always shallow. Many boats will go out for single dives and then return to the dock, So just sleep in and skip the first dive, and you will probably be assured that you will stay shallow. If you are with a group and don't have your own computer, it is easy to drift off below the group and end up deep without noticing it. If you have a computer you can program in a depth warning that will keep you safe. Most of the dive sites off West Bay are shallow, and you won't miss a whole lot if you skip the deep sites.

Any decent dive master will assess your abilities and keep an eye on you, especially when she knows you are a newbie.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

from above post: "Any decent dive master will assess your abilities and keep an eye on you, especially when she knows you are a newbie."

Umm, yes and no. I generally do agree with that statement but remember that when you leave for "paradise", the fellow that gets in the water with you might best be referred to as a "dive guide". We impute a lot of things into the word "Dive Master" which is a class of certification by a recognized Agency (ie: PADI, NAUI etc).

Even when a dive guide is an agency certified DM, he may not be acting in that capacity unless he was specifically hired to do so by the customer. Many places (Roatan included) will assign you your own private DM for about $50 a day- he will make it his 100% concern to make sure that you are alive and happy.

Again- I am not disagreeing with that statement "Any decent dive master will assess your abilities and keep an eye on you, especially when she knows you are a newbie", I'm just pointing out that there are distinctions in accountability and duty when you leave the United States. Every paradise dive op will re-assure any nervous diver who asks this question- just understand the reality and enforceability of the supplied answer. When in doubt, hire your own private DM for a few dives, couldn't hurt. It might be $50 for a day of 3 dives.

As for "Dive Guides", you should follow your man like a puppy- that's the only way you'll ever find the really cool stuff. If he isn't showing you a Sea Horse one out of three dives, you got a lemon. If he is showing you lots of cool stuff (like a Pipefish) and is always physically assisting you with getting in the boat and your gear- tip him well. A good Naturalist Dive Guide is a real treasure.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

My husband and our friends used West Bay Divers in March and were very happy with the staff there. I had emailed them months in advance inquiring about a larger tank for my husband. The owner emailed me back promptly and said he would reserve him one of their larger tanks. I emailed again about a week before our trip just to touch base. When we arrived on Roatan, we walked over to set up some dives; they had my husband penciled in on the calendar. They all wanted a shore dive the first day as a refresher, and they made that happen. He was happy with the way they stored and transported their equipment. Small dive groups. Short boat rides. They did the shark dive as well on the south side of Roatan.

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

If you are staying at Infinity Bay, why not use Infinity Bay divers. They have stellar review here on Trip advisor and they are right at your front door. I have never dove with them, but plan on it this July. My daughter will be completing her open water referral with them as well. I hope they are as good as their reviews.

willington,ct
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

Just back from Weat Bay Village and dove with West Bay Divers.You say if staying at IB dive with them.Here's why. I only dive in the morning(1 dive). I watch divers from IB for their 2 rd dive and trere are 12 to 15 divers. I look up the beach and WBD has 4 to 5 . Thats WHY.I spoke to a diver staying at WBV that was diving with IB and asked how he liked them and said to many divers. I asked why not use WBD and he didn't know they were there. He switch and we dove together and loved it.

JOE

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
842 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

Our party had a horrible experience with Infinity last year, which is why I couldn't recommend them. PM me if you want details.

9. Re: Best Dive Shops near Infinity Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 09, 2014