We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

Hey all. I know this thread is one of a million in regards to snorkeling, but I’ve been researching the forums and compiled this list and wanted to consult with you on some things I was not clear on. We are staying for two weeks (in Punta Blanca) and plan to get a lot of snorkeling in. My partner and I have been to Roatan for a day last year on a cruise (it sold us!) and we are bringing our friend this time. We are definitely going to do West Bay again so our friend can experience it as well. Also, we are renting a car for the two weeks so we can go exploring.

Here are the places I’ve gathered are good places to snorkel based on what I’ve read here on TA, and the info that I’ve gathered regarding them. Can some of you take a stab at some of my questions, and/or confirm what I have down already?

1. West Bay – you can walk out to the reef. Where should we park our car around here for access?

2. Pristine Bay – kayak or boat ride out. Any recommendations on a kayak or boat company that will take us out?

3. Blue Channel – boat ride out. Any recommendations on a boat/tour company to take us out?

4. Camp Bay near Sirena – can explore from shore. La Sirena is further east than Punta Blanca, right?

5. Smuggler’s Cove – at Smuggler’s Cove Restaurant at the Meridian, snorkel off their beach. Can be reached by the main road, past Infinity Bay parking lot, on right at tip of island.

6. Port Royal – Not sure how to access this spot, what I read was not clear.

7. Reef off Luna Beach – Not sure how to access this, same as above.

8. Reef off Xbalanque – Not sure how to access this, same as above.

General question: if we could only do a few of these spots, which would you recommend as the top spots?

Also, the house we are renting is on the beach, so we will definitely be trying out the snorkeling there. I’m not sure how far out the reef is though. I’ve also been in contact with Marble Hill Farms and we can rent a kayak from them, as they are very close to us, and venture out as well.

I know that some of these questions may seem redundant for some of you experts, but I really do appreciate your expertise and your time in answering!

Jen

Subway Watersports
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
Upachaya
Scuba & Snorkeling, Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Roatan Custom Tours -- Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Big French Key
Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

Sandy Bay is a very long stretch... the Anthony's Key stuff is toward the western end... we stay on the eastern end, which pretty much starts where the road coming across from Coxen Hole hits the northern coast of the island.

We shore snorkel daily (of course, taking advantage of the very long dock at our complex) but we've also very much enjoyed the occasional boat trip. Sometimes you can ride with a dive boat. They typically tie off on a buoy outside the reef... they swim down and out - snorkelers swim in to the reef. It is also cool to get a guy to take you to some spots you wouldn't otherwise see. This year friends took us to a wreck to snorkel and also to an area particularly rich in soft corals and sponges - and we saw our first octopus.

It is worth it to spend a little to get to different sites - and also to develop the kind of confidence it takes to go out on your own. Both dhauk and hopefulist are experienced folks and they will snorkel where most folks will be too intimidated to just head out on their own. But I bet they were beginners once and developed their confidence with experience. So ask a lot of questions wherever you are, and let folks help you learn.

Heck - we'd never been outside the reef at West Bay until a Tripadvisor friend took us out through the IB route this year. After that, we were comfortable heading out there on our own.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,417 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

I am a confident snorkeler and diver now but everyone starts somewhere! I've learned to wear shorts and a shirt over my suit because I stay out for hours and hours sometimes, more persistence than great sunblock. Have a great trip!

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

The best snorkel sites I have found is Texas and west end wall in the west end. Pigeon cay is gorgeous , in my opinion the best, but tough to get to, all the way on the east end. West bay tours does trips out there or get a small boat out of the east end.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
199 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

When staying at Sueno, or even some of the others, did you find the smell of gas to be an issue from the docked boats? I found that to be a problem in Akumal a few months ago and am just concerned, leaning towards staying at Sueno, but seems like most places around Roatan will have the boats docking in the shallows or at the docks.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

Kathy, gas smell? Well I never thought of that. As you know Akumal has a strong (!) on-shore wind while at West End and West Bay the wind is more of an off-shore breeze or a breeze along the shore. There is exhaust from the air compressors at dive shops, but I Have never found it to be a problem. Theer are also way more boats offshore at Akumal than you will find at Sueno, which has at most 2 boats docked there.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

I've been looking into hiring a boat to Pigeon Cay for the day. Does anyone have any experience with this? What is a general price that you've seen? (I'm assuming it's an all-day trip, based on the tours I've seen offered, but please correct me if I'm wrong!).

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

Forgot to mention that I did look at Free Radical, however they are booked for the entire two weeks we are in the island! So now I'm looking at other tours. The problem is, for us to do a private tour to Pigeon Cay, it would be quite expensive split between only 3 of us. The cheapest I found was $500. If we go with a place that is having a few more people go, then the cost should be more doable.

NM
Level Contributor
65 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

I'm looking to go to a few places with my two children (11 and 15) on the cruise ship days, so that we can avoid the cruise ship madness. looking for easy get-aways, either swim in from shore or quick boat ride out. how easy is this to arrange?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,417 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

Maybe get an early start hiking in the Carambola Reserve? Don't know how often cruisers head that way but it would be easy to get up there before they hit the trail.

20. Re: List of Snorkeling Spots with Questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 19, 2014