We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

Does anyone know how to make a Monkey LaLa? I had one at Sundowners and it was amazing.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

Just email Aaron and ask his recipe, Sundowners has a website and Facebook page. The recipe varies around the Island

Austin
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

Is sundowners doing a big party tonight, 5/15? Someone on the beach said it was their anniversary?

Edited: 7:44 am, May 15, 2013
NYC
Level Contributor
637 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

its basically the same as a white russian, except they substitute coconut cream instead of milk ...... and then also add the chocolate syrup ........... at least thats the general idea of all the monkey lala's that we had at a variety of places!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
587 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

Here are 2 versions....

Monkey La La

1 oz Baileys

1 oz Kahlua

1/2 oz Vodka

1/2 oz Rum

2 oz cream of coconut

splash of milk or cream

optional: 1 bannana

optional: squirt of chocolate syrup

Pour over a full blender of ice, blend for 60 seconds.

salud!

Monkey La La

1 shot Baileys;

1/2 shot coconut cream:

1/2 shot Kahlua;

1 shot vodka;

1 shot triple sec.

Add ice and blend until frozen

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
856 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

Here is a thread from the Belize forum on the same subject, in Belize the drink is called a Dirty Banana.

As you can see there are many variations;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291961-i1457-k459…

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

Yup - a lot like a Dirty Banana - except for the banana part! ;-)

(and I like your avatar... a "winged" dwarf from Ek Balam if I'm not mistaken. Amazing carvings...)

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
856 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

I've seen the banana in the Monkey La La too, it's even listed (as an option in Shawdas' recipe above.

Yep, Ek Balam. Used to be no one knew where it was, now it's almost as popular as Chichen. However it is not a dwarf, as the statue is the approx. height of a Mayan person. Winged Warrior is the term currently being used.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

Our guide said that the proportion of the legs to the body and the size of his head meant he was a dwarf - and that physical imperfections were seen as positives - that the gods had marked the person as special. His anthropological take was that these two, with their fake wings (wooden boards with feathers attached) would have been ceremonial attendants at court.

I looked at the photos when we got home and I, too, am not completely sold on the "proportions" thing - but we view them from quite an angle... not sure what somebody up there with a measuring tape might find... our guide was well-educated, but I suspect a person might well get three different explanations from three different guides...

Whatever the truth on this... love your avatar - great carvings! We found the site charming... no crowds like Chichen or Tulum.

Bananas in monkey la-las? Seems dangerously close to adding something healthful to drink otherwise devoid of nutrional value!

Norristown...
Level Contributor
347 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

We got back from our first trip to Roatan 3 weeks ago. We tried the Monkey LaLa at a few places. At Las Rocas, the standard recipe used Vodka, but for the banana option, the name was Dirty Monkey and substituted dark rum for the vodka as well as adding the banana. I have to give credit to Alex the bartender for making great LaLas. I don't like vodka, so he made all of mine with rum. I'm sure many of the folks reading this know this type of drink as a Foo Foo Drink - generally more dessert than actual drink, and in most cases, likely to make you fat before they make you "happy" - but the boys at Las Rocas definitely recognized the need for sufficient liquor to offset the other ingredients!

10. Re: Sundowners's Monkey LaLa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, May 23, 2014