We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental companies on Roatan

Honduras
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
car rental companies on Roatan

Looked through the forum and didn't find any recent chat about rental car companies.

Any up to date recommendations on who, or who not, to rent a car from on Roatan?

We will be there for a couple of weeks in July and would like to set a rental up ahead of time. Looking for compact front wheel drive with room for 3 large bags. Don't need something new, just something reliable.

Thanks,

Border Rat

Jefferson, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental companies on Roatan

Just got back from Roatan, used Joseph at Caribbean Rental. Hyundai Atos for $268 a week. Small, but fit luggage and dive gear, and my 6' 4" hubby. It had some wear and tear, but was dependable. Would use Joseph again for future trips.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
499 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental companies on Roatan

We rented a 12 passenger van from Avis and had no problems.

Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental companies on Roatan

Use Joseph at Carribean whenever we need a rental. We really like him as he delivers what he says!

Roatan
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental companies on Roatan

9995-2827 is the number for Joseph @ Caribbean care rental.

Honduras
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental companies on Roatan

Thank you all for your help.

We have gone with a recommendation from someone on the island and reserved with Econo Rent a Car - http://www.econorentacarhn.com/en/ which is a Honduran national company.

Their price for a 13 day rental was $30 per day for 2013 Kia Picanto, or $35 per day for a 2012 Hyundai Accent. This was total including taxes and basic insurance. Not sure what basic insurance means. Will deal with that when we take the car out. They will deliver car to you for $10 if you do not arrive by air.

Was by far the best price I encountered after much surfing around.

I will post back here after our trip in July to let you know how the rental went.

Happy trails

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental companies on Roatan

I rented a little Suzuki through the Avis booth at the airport because at the time they had the best rates. Then alas I skidded into a stone wall and scratched the body. Since I already had personal insurance and insurance through the credit card, I had declined their insurance. So I was expecting the worst when I returned the car. And I had left a signed credit card authorization for $1200. Well, they resolved the matter quickly and for way less than I expected. So now I'm a big fan of Avis. I'm not sure I would have wanted to get into an accident with a local vendor's car. I know you're not expecting to have an accident, which is why they call it an "accident"

Mobile AL
Level Contributor
312 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental companies on Roatan

Is the rental insurance mandatory with the rental companies in Roatan I tried to rent from Thrifty at a good rate, but they added the insurance and would not allow you to decline. I always decline and use my CC insurance. The rates I'm getting seem high and quotes always include insurance.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental companies on Roatan

Can't always guarantee that folks will actually follow the law, but I know in the US and in Mexico, companies must include any mandatory insurance in the initial quote, not as an add on. And any of the add on insurance is supposed to be optional for additional cost. Speteachmr - I'd go with another company. And if they tell you insurance is mandatory, make them tell you exactly which coverages they are calling mandatory.

I can tell you we rented from Dollar. The rate was $24/day for a weekly rental - $168. With fees and taxes, that went up to $211. I waived the extra insurance coverages, so that is what I paid.

Mobile AL
Level Contributor
312 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental companies on Roatan

Idiotsabroad

Thanks for the input. Seems that prices are really up for car rentals in July. I've looked at every available rental company on the island and the lowest rate is around 245 US with Roatan Best Car Rental. Dollar and Avis come in at 302 US and 315 US. This includes all taxes and fees. Prices seem high compared to US rentals. I may book with Dollar even though they are a little more expensive if I determine their terms look better. Were you satisfied with the rental? Any input from someone who recently used Best would be welcome. I would be willing to use taxis some, but hubby insists on having a car. It may make sense due to the fact we will be staying at Caribe Pointe.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental companies on Roatan

Border Rat - I tried to get a price through them through their website, but it's all in Spanish... and when I click on the "English" link, the reservations turn back into Spanish. I also couldn't see an email address on there, only phone numbers. Do you have their email by any chance?