We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skype and viber

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,750 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
skype and viber

does anyone know if these VOIP services are blocked in Roatan? I've had problems before in Roatan staying on Skype for more than a few seconds, but I did not seek the solution, since I could use e-mail. Now I've heard that the internet provider for some caribbean areas is blocking VOIP. Viber would be great for calling around while I'm in Roatan as well as, you know, calling home. The wife gets upset if she thinks I'm having fun without her, so I need to report how miserable I am diving and snorkeling all day.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: skype and viber

We Skyped several times the past few weeks using our TIGO stick / dialup. The service was too slow to provide good video, so we usually stuck to just voice communication, but it worked OK for us.

Roatan
Level Contributor
292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: skype and viber

I regularly use Skype from the office on the nevega service. It does take a lot of bandwidth though so you may be hitting limitations with whatever service provider your connecting to.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: skype and viber

We did some voice skype calls as well using the wifi of our resort. Video calls where not possible due to the bandwith, but the voice call was very clear and good. Will depend a lot on your connection of course.....

Save Reply
4. Re: skype and viber

Thank you deer

Save Reply
5. Re: skype and viber

Thank you deer

6. Re: skype and viber

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 06, 2014