We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free Liquour in Roatan

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free Liquour in Roatan

Where are some good places to buy duty free liquor/or liqour in Roatan?

Also a good recommendation for some food local food in West Bay

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free Liquour in Roatan

Eldons or Plaza mar will be very close if not better priced than just about any other place whether called Duty free or not. There is very little "local" type food in West Bay, most places cater to tourists, even the praised Balaedas are often filled with shrimp or lobster and sell for ten times what at local style balaeda sells for. West End will have more local food places but for best bet Coxen Hole has the largest selection

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free Liquour in Roatan

I assume Eldon's is in West Bay? And Plaza Mar?

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free Liquour in Roatan

eldons and plaza mar are basically beside each other about half way from the airport to west bay area there is other stores in french harbour ( farther from west bay and airport area)

there is also a small liquor store in west end called the duty free

to be honest we have only put it in our checked bag when returning to canada so we well you know!!!!!

there was no actual ticketed duty free in the airport in February ... but it is under contruction so maybe the future will see one ??

the prices for alcohol are very very cheap compared to home ( like usual) but the grocery store pricing is still a bit less than the store in west end the mini mart manganmos in west bay and a couole little mini marts in west end carry bottles for sale not a huge selection but some basics... a bit more money but convenient for location when needed.....

not much for local food in west bay

try behind bananarama on the street a little wooden place called olga"s .....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free Liquour in Roatan

We will be in the East End during out stay but plan on visting the West End, so I think we will rent a car and go to Eldon's.

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free Liquour in Roatan

check out a place called the Bulk gourmet then as well,, if you have a car,, the selection they have for liquor is stocked !! very good prices ( compared to canada) for stuff you wont find at the grocery stores on roatan..

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free Liquour in Roatan

the regular liquor prices are ridiculously low in the grocery store... We are drinking gin and tonics with a liter of gin from Eldon's for $3.20. The Gilbeys is around $5 and Gordons $6. My brother-in-law headed back yesterday with two liters of Crown Royal (whiskey) - stuff in a purple velvet bag - from Plaza Mar for less than $25/bottle... Peach schnapps for a Slippery Navel (mixed with Peach-Mango V-8 Twist) was $5 a liter.

Staying on the east end, I'm guessing most of your shopping will be in French Harbour... I know there is a grocery store that is not Eldons and not Plaza Mar in the Megamall there... but I believe there is an Eldon's in French Harbor as well.

Interesting comment about the prices at Bulk Gourmet... all I've heard is about how high they are. In general I have a little trouble with people traveling to a Honduran island only to try to buy stuff from home... but we did shop at the Hybur fish place in the same parking lot at Bulk Gourmet... prices the same as our "fish truck" and it seemed like the seafood was good quality and well kept...

As to local food... I don't know of any in West Bay. Celeste's does very nice baleadas and drinks for lunch (and great breakfasts, I'm told, for $5) but these are "tourist" baleadas... big and good and - by comparison - way more expensive than their original versions available as street food and a staple at local restaurants. We got some good ones for about a buck at the place that used to be something-like Chipis Catarachas on the main road of West End a little west of the church... had some really tasty empanadas from the same place for a buck a piece... the lady in the parking lot next to Captain Van's rental, across from the church, seemed to be turning out amazing plate lunches... timing didn't work out for us - we were just getting the ice cream from the joint next door... but I watched her make a to-go plate of rice and beans... and then a big chunk of meat... and then another chunk of meat... and the tinfoil cover seemed about as high as the plate was wide... and then what sounded like a piece of pie - for a taxi driver illegally stopped next to her stand. Couple of tables.

In Coxen Hole last year, we took the street that runs basically northerly from the bank/Yabba Ding Ding/Eldon's downtown area toward the cemetary (short cut to walk to Eldons on the road) and toward the market... and stopped at a restaurant on the east side of the street... didn't catch a name, but a lot of local folks at outdoor plastic tables... great food at local prices...

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free Liquour in Roatan

The grocery at the mall in FH is the Hiper Mega market, The Eldons in FH is just up the side road on your right if heading east, at the intersection where Bojangles and a Pizza place is, once you turn you will go a few hundred feet and its on the right, a metal building looks just like the one on Coxen Hole

Moses Lake...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free Liquour in Roatan

Idiots the woman across the street from the church her name is Jenny or Ginny (if I remember right) and her food is awesome. We try to get it at least onces while on the island. You would enjoy it.

9. Re: Duty free Liquour in Roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 23, 2014