We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typhoid?

Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
577 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Typhoid?

Just came back from the doctors for anti malaria medication. She asks if i'm interested in getting a vaccine for typhoid. Is typhoid common in Roatan? Just want to be more cautious for the little one.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typhoid?

Typhoid is actually a type of salmonella that can make you very sick. It is much more prevalent in Third World countries, and is spread by unclean food / water. Ultimately, it's your choice whether or not to be vaccinated. Some feel they can avoid it by "being careful" where they eat and drink. Others get the vaccination. The CDC has recommendations that include typhoid vaccination.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typhoid?

karin, is there any reason NOT to get the vaccination? You can be as careful as you want about what you eat and drink, but you ARE going to swim, aren't you? And there's no telling where that sea water has been, and frankly you don't even want to think about it. I've been diving in Roatan waters that were serenely clear and blue and warm, except for that crust on top. So with my hep and typhoid shots I had less to worry about. Roatan is a tropical island like countless others without universal sewage treatment, to say the least, and the steep hills make for rapid run-off after a rain. So crap happens.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typhoid?

Yukkkk Thanks for that dhauk... lol

Minnesota
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typhoid?

Good point, Dhauk! On top of that, those sailboats in the harbors look nice, but guess where their sewage goes? Ditto for the cruise ships coming by!

5. Re: Typhoid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 19, 2014