We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

My daughter (12 years old) and I will be in Roatan for one day on a cruise stop. We have booked Bodden tours for the day and are VERY excited! We would love to snorkel a REALLY good location at some point in our cruise and I am afraid we will just end up snorkeling from shore and never seeing anything awesome. With Bodden, we have the option of going to West Bay beach, Half Moon Bay, or going offshore to Blue Channel. We don't want to go offshore if we wouldn't see anything different/better. Would going to Blue Channel be worth the time and extra money, or should we stick to West Bay or Half Moon? What can we expect to see at Blue Channel that we wouldn't at the other locations? If we stick to one of the beaches, which one? Could a local or someone who has experience at each location give some advice? Thanks!

Chicago
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

West Bay has some of the best snorkeling you will find anywhere and right from the shore. I wouldn't bother with a boat tour.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,566 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

Both locations are good, but given the opportunity I would hit Blue Channel. The coral is more diverse and healthier. If it matters, the water is generally shallower as well, except over the channel of course.

You'll have to view the slideshow to see the captions noting the locations, but thee are pictures from both areas if you want to get a feel for each.

…photobucket.com/user/…20Highlights

What you won't see (hopefully) are schools of common yellow or orange crested bobbers.

cruisingexcursions.com/imgCrop/…Snorkel-1.jpg

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

We found a guided snorkeling tour very good. It only cost $40 per person, well worth the money.

We are newbie snorkelers and the 'Spooky Channel' was exceptional. We saw a turtle, Barracudas and other 'things' that we did not see snorkeling off shore at West Bay. Blue Channel we did not find THAT interesting overall. I guess it depends how experienced you are and what you have seen already.

Have fun!

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

Thanks for your responses! I am reading and trying to figure out what would be best for us, but it puts my mind at ease knowing that I can't really go wrong with either decision (since SOME say West Bay is just as good).

BTW, good one about the yellow and orange crested bobbers! Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about, but the picture is telling, haha!!:)

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

West Bay is the best shore snorkeling from a white sandy beach, Testudo is right the reef is much healthier at Blue Channel because it gets much less exposure, the other poster is right on about spooky channel as well awesome dive and snorkel spot Bodden could probably go there just as easy if they are leaving from the west end IMHO better than blue channel more interesting cuts through the reef !

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

Testudo- I am just getting a chance now to look at your pictures . . . BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks so much for attaching them - they are helping me get a better idea of what I want. I was wondering: Is Blue Channel part of Xbalanque Reef? I see a lot of pictures labeled as that reef, just wondering if they are connected?? Thanks!

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

All of those places are GORGEOUS!!! Cow and Calf has some ridiculous colors!!! I can't wait for this cruise to get here . . . 9 days and counting (impatiently, I must add)!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

I guess Testudo has been there. I agree with the comments. BC does have a lot of coral and a wide reef crest, as well as that cut through the reef. of course the channel can only be appreciated during a scuba dive. And that coral is in good shape. I really don't see the need to rent a tour, unless you need to rent the gear, since you could just swim out from shore. There is no guarantee that you will see more fish than at West Bay, but you will probably see more, since the crowds at WB tend to scare the fish away. Most people probably prefer seeing fish to seeing coral, since the coral doesn't move around a lot. Bodden might take you to more than one site, not that this would guarantee anything. I stay at a little hotel right on Blue Channel, and I'm out there snorkeling twice a day, and I could never get tired of it. Whatever part of the reef you explore, I'm sure you will love it.

Austin
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

What part/side of the island is blue channel on?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,566 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Channel - Is it THAT good?

West Bay and West End are on the western end of the north side of the island.

The reef from Blue Channel to West Bay is pretty much contiguous, with the "Xbalanque" section (named for the boutique resort it is off of) being a few hundred yards west of Blue Channel.

Unfortunately I did not get to snorkel Spooky Channel, but it was certainly on my list. I can only imagine how good it is.

Cow & Calf was supposedly a great snorkel spot on the south shore up by Port Royal at one time. Now it is a main destination for cruise sponsored snorkel excursions. Being so shallow, it has pretty much been destroyed.